Clone 4" Kurt-style Mill Vise Acquired - Update 2

Continuing the saga of the noodle-factory Kurt Clone. Update 1 was posted on 3 February 2010.

I noticed that when I tightened the new swivel clamp bolts (that are standard

1/2-13 T-slot bolts with spherical washers and heavy hex nuts), the vice still shifted slightly. The cause is that the tops of the cast bosses against which the washers bear is not parallel to the table surface, so there is some sidewise force when tightening.

Well, there is lots of meat there, so I clamped the vice to the table and milled the tops of the bosses off parallel to the table. Took maybe 1/16" of material off.

No more motion when tightening.

I also trimmed the T-slot bolts off to length, mainly for appearance, and to keep the ends out of the way.

The crank handle that comes with the vice is big and heavy and clumsy. A used

6-point 15mm deep impact socket and a small breaker bar works far better. The reason to use a 6-point deep socket is that it will stay on the vice until intentionally removed, and not that great torque is needed.

Step by step, I am re-inventing Kurt.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

My answer to the Kurt handle question. The hub used to be a deep socket.

Ned Simmons

VERY nicely executed.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That's a very impressive handle for a Kurt, but don't you think it is really intended to steer a ship?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Maybe a very small ship, or one of those boats that are towed around a tank at Salem Willows. Lobster fishermen do like small wheels on their hydraulic steering, but prefer the type with six handles around the OD.

I was in the marine hardware business at one time and our wheels were considered superior because, being cast from manganese bronze, they weren't as likely to bend as the competition's naval bronze wheels. This seems like a minor point until your foot is tangled up in the warp of a pot that's going overboard and the wheel is what you happen to be holding onto.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Spinner ! Nice if you have the room.

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

What I have is like a large dog bone - one end is a hex hole, the middle a hex hole and the other end is a handle.

The bone is 1/2" Al as is the handle.

It fits on my large kurt vise and works to snug up stuff.

I have a big wrench if I want to make it tight.

Mart> Spinner !

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Sweet!