Clone 4" Kurt-style Mill Vise Acquired - Update

The clone "Kurt" vise acquired in July 2009 has a few vices. This is the story of one such vice.

The two bolts that clamp the vise to the swivel base felt spongy when tightened, and tended to rotate the vise when tightened, ruining the alignment. The reason is interesting.

The castings seem to have been made using original Kurt components as forms, but the resulting castings were fitted with metric hardware. Specifically, the as-cast holes were for 1/2 inch hardware, but 12mm hardware was used, along with a very thin washer to bridge the gap, and too-short bolts that didn't quite fill the nuts.

The solution was simple. It turns out that the vise and swivel base are sized to accept real 1/2-13 hardware, including a T-slot bolt sliding around freely in the circular T-slot in the base. No machining was required. Just install the hardware. It made for a considerable improvement.

The bill of materials:

Two T-slot bolts, 1/2-13 by 2.5" (Gibralter 842525-G, MSC 77415826).

Two 1/2" spherical washer sets (Jergens 41105, MSC 82429358)

Two 1/2" hex nuts (Jergens 20714, MSC 04555322).

The total cost was 2(4.42+3.96+1.44)= $19.64, call it $20.

The bolts are about 1/4" longer than really needed, so I may trim them.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I got one of the 6" knock-off vises quite a few years ago, and was quite impressed with the quality of the vise. The swivel base was a nasty thing, and I had some trouble getting the vise off the swivel, the center pin was almost a press-fit. I found the whole thing very flimsy and prone to vibration when on the swivel, and it stiffened the setup greatly when I pulled it apart. I've never put the swivel base back on since. Now that I have a CNC mill, there's really no need ever for the swivel, anyway.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Nearly all machine shops buy the vises and immediately toss the swivel base into the nearest trash can

I can get them occasionally if anyone really NEEDs one.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

How about used Kurt 4" vices?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Thats gonna be a lot harder. Most Kurts are the standard 6" ones

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

So I've found. And the 6" vises are cheaper than the 4" ones as well. But 6" is way too large for my mill.

If anyone comes upon a homeless 4" Kurt in good mechanical condition, I could be interested.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn