Table dimensions

I'm a newbie who would prefer that all bolts came in two sizes: big and little. I'm getting over it, but slowly.

I measured the table on a Haas VF-0 so I could build some simple pallettes. The slots are 5/8" wide, so I bought 5/8" T-bolts in the length I needed. All of the 5/8" T-bolts and most of the 5/8" T-nuts in the MSC book are 1

1/8" wide at the base, so I assumed this was standard. The bolts don't fit the table, the slots are only 1.07" wide at the base. Poo.

I know I should have measured everything, but is it unreasonable to expect that 5/8" T-nuts fit all 5/8" slots? Are there any standards, where can I find them?

P.S. Can anyone explain the slot spacing? The far and near slots on the Haas are 4.921" from the center slot.

Reply to
Bill Price
4.921" equals 125mm

Reply to
Chief McGee

The slots aren't .625 in, they're 15-7/8 mm ;o)

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Nice, but that begs the question. Why are the slots spaced 125mm apart on a machine with .625" wide slots?

The 6-foot rail gauge is supposed to stretch back to the early Romans and the width of a horse. Does something like that determine standard table dimensions?

Reply to
Bill Price

Thank you Ned. I love an intelligent man with a good sense of humor. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

"Bill Price" >

American RR rails are 4'-8 1/2" apart and it's the width of a Romans horses ass that set the standard that was the determining factor in the size of the shuttles SRB's. Do your homework before you post, please ;-). Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Indeed it does. Early Roman hamster driven mills had slots spaced to fit the width of the hamsters. Now the Etruscans, and their generally acknowledged to be "laughable" experiments with guinea pig power led to a completely different set of spacings and caused confusion amongst engineers that lasted for centuries. Roman vices and rotary tables wouldn't fit onto Etruscan mill beds and vice versa without modifying the slots and confusion reigned until the Trojans revolutionised machining with their Gerbil J-Head mill.

With vari speed gearbox and quiet reliable gerbil drive it swept the old machines aside and led to standardisation of slot spacings throughout the Mediterranean and onwards into the modern era.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Oh, good lord! It was the Incans that had the guinea pigs, and they used them as draft animals. The eskimo heard about it and started using dogs because there wasn't any grass for feeding the guinea pigs.

Reply to
Offbreed

Reply to
David Billington

Bullpuckey! It _all_ began with the (Upper Niule) Egyptians/Nubians and the 72-mouse Hitch, pulling Ra around the Earth.

A priest on an astral journey observed the width of the hitch and decided to honor the mouse-god by setting all chariot wheels to that standard, thereby pissing off Bast and cats have been arrogant, but lovable, little pricks since.

That standard was then reduced proportionally for the early, stone-tablet mills.

Therefore, the dimensions of all milling machine tables is exactly .1 x the width of 72-mouses' asses!

Sheesh, don't you guys know _anything_?

Reply to
John Husvar