Who in here are Haas shops?

I know a few who speak out but I was wondering how many Haas guys we have in here? We just installed a VM-2 and I'm curious about the amount of "first
hand" experience present in this group.
Don't make this a bash Haas thread, I'm just asking a question. The anti-Haas guys are already apparent. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction
Michael wrote:

We're pretty much an all Haas VM shop. We have a few that are 12 years old, and still running strong, and holding decent tolerances.
The newer ones are light years better.
All HAAS here too!
1993 VF-0 2005 VF-5 2005 SL-30 2006 Mini Mill 2008 VF-2YT
All running fine, all holding +/- .0005 or better all the time!
"D"

*cough*...*cough*....
--
Anthony

Yes? :)
Ok I stretched it a little, I try to avoid +/- .0005 work, it makes me lose sleep, and I dont get much of that anyway. +/- .001 works fine for me, and the kid working for me, anytime he sees +/- .0005, he gets a funny look on his face, kinda like, "how the hell ya gonna do that"?
"D"
Big d wrote:

Big d, We also have a 2 yo Mazak mill, it is good as well but I am really liking the Haas just as well by now. I operated Cincy's for years but the Haas is so much better thought out than any Cincy ever was. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction
Steve Mackay wrote:

Steve, Contrary to Cliff's exposure and put downs of anything others actively accomplish, the Haas VN2 is pretty impressive. HSM, mirror imaging, part scaling, pcool, thru spindle coolant, etc, 12k rpm, 600 fpm, as well as the rotary axis stuff, it is a powerhouse machine to operate. I like the built in CAT 5 networking, and especially the USB stick loading. FNC is really sweet, I loaded and ran a 34mb mold yesterday and today, nice!! I have seen and used quite a few pendant controls but the power jog in the Haas is pretty sweet. I'm really impressed with the additions and simplicity that Haas offers. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction
Michael wrote:

The newer ones are outstanding machine IMHO. The best bang for the buck. Ours have been very reliable.

This was some time ago, but in the recurrent Haas vs. Fadal threads, one guy had both AND a Mighty Viper or sumpn, and swore by the Mighty.
But, those g-d tool changes in Haas are so g-d fast, they even make the demo guys nervous....
"A/B" comparisons are very hard to make, in a microwave, nevermind machine tools.
You really need a Consumer Reports type deal, doing controlled identical tests, and even THEN you don't have a fully representative picture, over time/wear/tear.
--

Mr. PV'd

We have one. An ancient VF1 with chain counterbalance. Did mostly drilling and tapping steel. Worked most of the time like everything else of other brands.
The repair manual for it is pretty decent as manuals go.
Wes

What would be used instead of a chain counterbalance? The Fadal 3016L has a chain counter balance. Ahm thinking of using my old motorcycle chain lube on it. :)
--

Mr. PV'd

Proctologically Violated wrote:

PV:
    Our Haas VF6 (64X32) uses a pressurized Nitrogen tank as the counterbalance.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Many have both the tank and the chains.
Gunner
BottleBob wrote:

And the newer ones have nothing. They use a servo brake on the Z Axis.

That was going to be my answer to PV.
Wes
Steve Mackay wrote:

And when you turn the power off, the head drops about a 1/2 inch.
Mike
wrote in message

I was machining an aluminum block for a flip/flop cane mold. I was blasting across that bitch at 250 ipm, and the power went out, damn thing dug in almost a half inch strait down. Your absolutely right.
wrote in message

Ouch !!!

1 - EC400 2 - HS1 2 - VF6 1 - SL40 also 2 mazaks
all programming done in the shop
Bob
Michael wrote:

We have 2, a VF-4 and VF-2.. only thing I don't like is it being 40 taper, and standard 7.5k spindle. Other than that, they run great and I bet if we needed to buy another machine, we would go with Haas. Our HFO support is pretty good, they don't get all pissy if I call them about a problem and try to help to the best of their ability before wanting to send out a tech.