Who in here are Haas shops?

The newer ones are outstanding machine IMHO. The best bang for the buck. Ours have been very reliable.

Reply to
Steve Mackay

The "super" machines aren't as accurate with their high pitched ball screws.

The VM, mold series are better IMHO. Slower rapids, but that's about it.

Reply to
Steve Mackay

That was going to be my answer to PV.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Brand new hunk of crap. Thing was aweful.

Reply to
vinny

The haas could rapid 1400 ipm. The owner asked us why we weren't cutting at that speed? Me and the boss looked at each other trying to contemplate WTF he just said, and just then it did a tool change at 100%(wholly FUCK speed!!). All three of us jumped, but the owner walked away...he was all flushed and shook up. One night his brother came up after a party all trashed, and was leaning on the door looking in...so my hand slid to the 100% button and a second later it did one of those tool changes. Didnt even fase the guy in the least. I gained a lot of respect for him that day. That shit scared me the first time we ran it. I swear it changed the air pressure in the room. :)

Reply to
vinny

Interesting to note and related to your current state: The tool changer has an odd variable helix "barrel cam" that drives the wagon wheel. For years it had to be machined using a custom made 5ax with only center line milling of the groove. When the tool got dull that had to put in a fresh full size custom diameter end mill. It cost thousands each year in new custom ground endmills. No one could model the part and then program the helix proper for cutter comp using either manual, Gibbs or MC. That was until last year when they went to NX for just that task. They now can use regrinds... The savings each year equals almost 3 seats on NX.

They still only have that one seat last I heard...

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

And when you turn the power off, the head drops about a 1/2 inch.

Mike

Reply to
Mike C

I was machining an aluminum block for a flip/flop cane mold. I was blasting across that bitch at 250 ipm, and the power went out, damn thing dug in almost a half inch strait down. Your absolutely right.

Reply to
vinny

Ouch !!!

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

Vinny= all mouth no brains.

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

Haas =3D very popoular machine. They must be do'in somthing right. They've been in just about every shop I've been at. VF-2,5 VF-O's Everyone seems to lik'em. To bad they'd fall apart cutting Titanium for a long time or heavy roughing on tool steel & don't have a conversational program input like the most user friendly, easiest to run volkswagen of CNC's : HURCO Here's something I ran across (haas stuff)

~g~

Reply to
cncmillgil