Who in here are Haas shops?

tnik wrote:

The first day I wasn't used to the control. I made two calls to Cali, not another call since. It just works like it is supposed to work. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction

Hopefully you got a "super" version. It's a big difference. Even a hundai with all the extras feels sweet! The haas control is as good as anything out there. Very user friendly and very powerful. In fact the interface doesn't piss you off at all, it's quite refreshing. The machine...good for the price. It can cut a giant part, and hold a tenth if you go slow enough. I give the control an A+ and the machine a B+.
I ran a real crappy haas on some side work, I give the mill a B- for control and an F- for machine. It was sooo bad. The ways were even exposed right in the cutting area. Total junk. So I guess it matters on how much you spend. That's why I suggest the SS models.
vinny wrote:

no way covers? amazing, did it come like <grin> that or was that from years of abuse? Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction

Brand new hunk of crap. Thing was aweful.
vinny wrote:

The "super" machines aren't as accurate with their high pitched ball screws.

The VM, mold series are better IMHO. Slower rapids, but that's about it.

The haas could rapid 1400 ipm. The owner asked us why we weren't cutting at that speed? Me and the boss looked at each other trying to contemplate WTF he just said, and just then it did a tool change at 100%(wholly FUCK speed!!). All three of us jumped, but the owner walked away...he was all flushed and shook up. One night his brother came up after a party all trashed, and was leaning on the door looking in...so my hand slid to the 100% button and a second later it did one of those tool changes. Didnt even fase the guy in the least. I gained a lot of respect for him that day. That shit scared me the first time we ran it. I swear it changed the air pressure in the room. :)
vinny wrote:

Interesting to note and related to your current state: The tool changer has an odd variable helix "barrel cam" that drives the wagon wheel. For years it had to be machined using a custom made 5ax with only center line milling of the groove. When the tool got dull that had to put in a fresh full size custom diameter end mill. It cost thousands each year in new custom ground endmills. No one could model the part and then program the helix proper for cutter comp using either manual, Gibbs or MC. That was until last year when they went to NX for just that task. They now can use regrinds... The savings each year equals almost 3 seats on NX.
They still only have that one seat last I heard...<g>
-- Bill

have
hand"
screws.
and
refreshing.
tenth
control
in
Vinny= all mouth no brains.

What's the matter with a "bash Haas" thread? :)
We have a 1998 Haas VF-4. It's been good to us.

Haas = very popoular machine. They must be do'in somthing right. They've been in just about every shop I've been at. VF-2,5 VF-O's Everyone seems to lik'em. To bad they'd fall apart cutting Titanium for a long time or heavy roughing on tool steel & don't have a conversational program input like the most user friendly, easiest to run volkswagen of CNC's : HURCO Here's something I ran across (haas stuff)
http://www.onlinetmd.com
~g~