More newbie table questions!

Hello again,

I pick up my set tomorrow morning and have nowhere to put it!

A lot of you recommended the scalerail web site which builds custom boards and legs, however for speed, I am thinking of IKEA, and this product:

specs are here:
As you can see the dimensions for one table is:

1200 x 750 mm, so when combined with another the total size will be 2400 x 1500 which is more than enough to house the 6 x 4 hornby track mat.

Can anyone give any serious reasons not to go down this route? At a total cost of £80 for two pine tables, and same day up and running - it seems to make perfect sense, however I have no knowledge of the hobby and will take your advise on board. My main worry is that the two table will not be of equal height, and this may damage the set if not sorted?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Gary Whittle.

Reply to
Gary Whittle

My suggestion to ensure alignment of the table tops is to drill 3 or 4 holes in the mating table edges and use wooden dowels. To increase rigidity but still be able to separate the tables easily, you could drill holes and put a couple of carriage bolts through each pair of adjacent legs, with a wooden spacer of appropriate size.

Another idea: get a piece of wood of the right thickness and length, and screw or bolt it between the table skirts up against the top.

You might also consider putting something like Sundeala, cork or ceiling tiles on top if you want to reduce noise transmission.

Reply to
MartinS

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Whittle" Newsgroups: uk.rec.models.rail Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 6:16 PM

Big snip

You could put two tables together to make 1200 x 1500mm or alternatively put them end to end to make 2400 x 750 mm.

To create 2400 x 1500 mm, you will need four tables! It looks as though it would be quite solid though, if you could fasten them together firmly. Remember that you will need a spacer under the table top where two tables meet.

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

I have one of these (as a kitchen table) and it is rock solid. The top is made of strips bonded together, and has shown no signs of splitting or warping in well over a year of use. Ikea stuff usually seems pretty consistent in its dimensions, so I'd be surprised if the heights don't match closely.

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan