Lathe table dimensions

I'm building a table for my 11x24 Logan/Powermatic lathe. After seeing the recent posts on lathes tumbling over, I'd appreciate the group's advice on how wide apart to put the feet. I don't expect to move it much, but don't want it to be tippy when I do. I'm in a small space so no wider than necessary. The table will be brazed steel (two

4x4x.120 tubes for the main rails, ~2x2s for the legs, etc.), with sand in the 4x4s. The 1.5HP motor will be mounted below. I can add ballast if needed.

I am thinking of putting the spindle CL at ~45" off the floor--reasonable? (I'm 6'0")

What feet width would give enough stability w/o being excessive?

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Malicky

A thought would be:- Make the table about 20-24" from front to back (shouldn't need any more for that size of lathe). Near the bottom of the legs braze, weld or bolt a 2x2" or 2x4" tube between front and back legs. These will be part of the structure and add stiffness but, more importantly, when you want to move the table, you can slide some bar or timber into the tubes and use jacks, crowbars and skates under them to move the table. The bar or timber can be long enough to give any required stability.

HTH

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Great idea! Problem solved -- thanks. David

Reply to
David Malicky