Kurt clone advice sought

x?uRËnÛ@ ¼ïWÌ)A×A"â M=øà\j ç?Dk?°KYÑßäSKJnQ ÈAÅg?|õí??B ????¸ÆIòÏ}|ÛvtÓóSÉLÆ

Reply to
clutch

According to Joseph Gwinn :

Note also that for new prices, the standard 6" Kurt seems to cost *much* less than either smaller or larger ones. Something about the quantities in which they are made, of course. (For that matter, the hold-down kits in the size for a Bridgeport are less expensive than those for either larger or smaller machines -- for the same reason.

Perhaps they were made to the same quality standards and metallurgy?

Note that I have two real Kurts (the standard 6" for a Bridgeport -- bought new, and a smaller 4" Kurt-II from an eBay auction. That one is interesting, in that it has magnets inset in the jaws, to hold parallels in place.

But I also have a 3" clone which happens to be the best size for my Nichols Horizontal mill. The 4" will work without a swivel base, but if the swivel base is mounted, it interferes with the dovetails on the column. I've since gotten a genuine Nichols milling vise, which is much better for most things, though there are some things for which the clone works better.

Well ... that 3" clone is somewhat devoid of a brand. Some of the members of our metalworking club picked up a batch of them from the fellow who made them from a purchased set of import castings. He aged them properly, and then machined them to very nice finish and accuracy. Other clones can vary all over the map, and price *may* be a guide to what is best.

If the 6" Kurt will fit your machine, and you have to buy new, that is probably your best bet. (I see that others are already offering used ones, which would be a good way to go.)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

If, hypothetically, you won this item from me, I would let you ship on your own UPS account, I customarily let people do it. Shipping heavy stuff is relatively expensive, regardless of who pays. Otherwise, yes, I agree with your sentiment.

Ignoramus12697

No. I'm out in the sticks. What gets me is that these imports get shippped all the way from China, Taiwan, or where ever and the last

300 miles costs more than what the place that sells it paid for it.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I once in the mid 1970s had a job in Sweden, so I shipped my car (a Volvo 240 sedan) from Baltimore to Stockholm, for $321, and a year later back for $50. Why the difference? Going over I was buying shipping for one car. Going back, I paid for a bit of space on a whole ship full of new Volvos going to the US from Gotenborg (a day's drive from Stockholm).

Volvo gets a far better deal than I can get.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

--Got the Travers Tool catalog yesterday and they've got a 4" vise in there for maybe $135.-

Reply to
steamer

Got the same catalog today as well, dutifully drooled.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Plus the extra salt. :)

Ignoramus12697

By the way, I lowered the bid on it to $150, so it may now be within reach even with the shipping cost.

Ignoramus12697

I wish I knew you had one when I was driving across Illinois two weeks ago. I'd have stopped by. Of course the toll road charges might have made it non economic. ;)

Wes

Reply to
clutch

What's the URL

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

Did you notice it is missing a jaw?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

It looks to me like it has both jaws, assuming this is the listing:

The fixed jaw is mounted on the front of the jaw plate in the picture.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Wes, I thought that the jaw was there, but simply on the other side of the stationary piece?

Ignoramus9104

It was late when I looked. They must have stored it there when using an accessory jaw.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Or to extend the range of the vise. On Kurt vises and most of the clones I've seen either/both jaws (jaw plates?) can be mounted on the inside or outside. That's come in quite handy for me on a number of occasions.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

According to Mike Henry :

[ ... ]

Right -- this is one of the things done for holding larger flat workpieces. The other trick is moving the moving jaw to the other end of its mounting as well. I recently did this to hold some 6" wide stock in a 4" Kurt-II.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols