Thumbscrew for Helios vernier caliper sought

I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that clamps the precision adjuster.
The fine adjusted is the right-hand clamp screw that sticks up in the
upper diagram in <http://www.gagesgalore.com/Fowler/Calipers_Vernier_Selections.htm .
The screwthread appears to be M2.5-0.35mm.
Anyway, anybody have any idea where to get a replacement thumbscrew?
Thanks,
Joe Gwinn

Um, make one, maybe? Should be easy with a lathe. Make a couple for future losses. Metric dies are available these days.
Stan

Why not fcking make one yourself ?
sheesh....

1. My lathe is a bit large for such a small screw, and my lathe doesn't do metric anyway.
2. The actual screws are hardened steel, so they don't mush out in use. Typically, the threads are ground after hardening. I don't have the equipment.
3. While I can buy a box of M2.5-0.35 machine screws, they will be soft. Maybe one can get socket head screws that are harder. (Not clear that socket head screws are made that small.)
3. I bet these thumbscrews cost all of $5.00 each when bought as a repair part, and they are perfectly suited to the purpose.
Joe Gwinn

I have a cache of hardware from collecting and dissambling old electronic components. If you have such a junkpile, you could find a similar screw. Press on a knurled cap ... Voila!
On 25/07/2011 11:21 AM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

If cutting the thread worries you cut some thread off a machine screw and just make the knurled boss part. Thread lock the stub of thread in to the boss & you're done.
I believe I have a Helios caliper somewhere that's damaged beyond repair. I'd be happy to send you the thumbscrew if it's still on it and it will fit yours. If you don't hear from me in a day or two, send me an email to jog my memory.
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

That would be nice. Thanks,
Joe Gwinn
On Monday, July 25, 2011 10:24:26 AM UTC-7, Jim Stewart wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Huh? A blast from the past.
Joe Gwinn

Site Timeline