Thumbscrew for Helios vernier caliper sought

I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that clamps the precision adjuster.

The fine adjusted is the right-hand clamp screw that sticks up in the upper diagram in .

The screwthread appears to be M2.5-0.35mm.

Anyway, anybody have any idea where to get a replacement thumbscrew?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Um, make one, maybe? Should be easy with a lathe. Make a couple for future losses. Metric dies are available these days.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Why not fcking make one yourself ?

sheesh....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I have a cache of hardware from collecting and dissambling old electronic components. If you have such a junkpile, you could find a similar screw. Press on a knurled cap ... Voila!

Reply to
Denis G.

If cutting the thread worries you cut some thread off a machine screw and just make the knurled boss part. Thread lock the stub of thread in to the boss & you're done.

Reply to
Dennis

  1. My lathe is a bit large for such a small screw, and my lathe doesn't do metric anyway.
  2. The actual screws are hardened steel, so they don't mush out in use. Typically, the threads are ground after hardening. I don't have the equipment.
  3. While I can buy a box of M2.5-0.35 machine screws, they will be soft. Maybe one can get socket head screws that are harder. (Not clear that socket head screws are made that small.)
  4. I bet these thumbscrews cost all of .00 each when bought as a repair part, and they are perfectly suited to the purpose.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I believe I have a Helios caliper somewhere that's damaged beyond repair. I'd be happy to send you the thumbscrew if it's still on it and it will fit yours. If you don't hear from me in a day or two, send me an email to jog my memory.

Joseph Gw> I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that

Reply to
Jim Stewart

That would be nice. Thanks,

Joe Gwinn