Kurt vise problem

Hi,

Hoping someone here can give me a clue. I have a small (4") Kurt AngLok vise, with a replacement Acme thread body & screw installed. It refuses to pull down on the moving vise jaw, work is always popping up on that side. I've taken the one jaw off, cleaned and checked everything, and all seems fine. Only thing I am suspecting...the entire moving assembly of screw & housing seems to have a noticeable bit of up/down play with respect to the vise body itself. Feel free to ask questions if this is unclear...I'm just hoping there is something I can do about this problem. Not so good to have an AngLok the doesn't!

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill Martin

My kurts have a hemi-spherical ball with a dimple in one side. I've noticed that putting the vise back together can be a little problematic ito of getting shit to seat -- you sorta have to have the vise nose down (handle up), and finagle a bit, not easy with my 70 lb-ers, proly easier with your 4". I think I used a thick grease to kind of get the ball to stick in place while finagling.

The system is geometrically simple (and perty clever), but a little ergonomically taxing. If you take it apart carefully again, you may be able to see how the ball/screw might be cocked/cammed/jammed.

Reply to
Existential Angst

My newer Kurts have pockets cut into the bottom of the moving jaw for little o-rings, this holds the jaw up alittle and you then get a nice downward pull when you tighen it up. I normally don't use the o-rings, but that's what they are there for. You could add the pockets if you want, just mill out to a depth of 70-80% of the oring you are going to use.

Reply to
Randy333

--Those 4" Kurts are rare and expensive; treat it with care. I'd give Kurt a call first and see if they can retrofit it for you.

Reply to
steamer

Yes...I about fell over when I saw the catalog price! A phone call is in order.

Reply to
Bill Martin

The one I have is pretty old, no O-rings or pockets. Interesting idea, if nothing else is wrong.

Reply to
Bill Martin

I was careful with it, but maybe...sometimes things go wrong. Will take another look.

Reply to
Bill Martin

They are CNC vices and thus the 'added value'.

I wanted one for some years and I suppose someday they will come on the market as salvage units.

Mart> >> --Those 4" Kurts are rare and expensive; treat it with care. I'd

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Have you seen this doc?

Some pretty good info in there.