EMY Conduit bending update

Here's a link to the part I need to make.

The first qty. point is 4k/mo., after that, more automation is justified. But, I have to make this for

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Oops, EMT

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The price of the emt comes to more than five cents a piece. A 10 ft piece is going to run over a dollar.

John

Reply to
John

I figured Fifty Cents, not five cents, sorry I wasn't clear.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Well, be sure to get a firm commitment to get paid, whether Prince Castle sells any of those silly things or not! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I thought at first it was a nickel as well, but $0.5 is, in fact, fifty cents. (the confusion was not writing it as .50.) But at 4K/mo, you should be able to get a pretty good price on bulk EMT - just don't order it from McMaster-Carr! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The heck with that, did you see the butter spreader?

Mmmm, butter.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

  1. Since I work with EMT fairly often I think that its too soft for that application. It's a scrub brush. I don't know about other people, but I put some muscle into a scrub brush. Your milage will vary.
  2. The bend at the brush is easy and could almost be done over your knee with 1/2 EMT.
  3. The bend at the handle end might have a radius a little small for a regular old throw it on the floor and put your foot on it manual bender. A bench top compact bender could handle it just fine.
  4. Not sure about the little plastic caps. For a one off for myself I might turn them out of HDPE round stock, because it would last forever. For cheap production, not sure.
  5. The bends in the pictured handle appear to be drawn and bent. Not just bent like with a manual bender.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Prince Castle is supplied by another manufacturer that gets brushes from Osborn in Mexico. My customer is going after different markets. Lots of room in the market, it won't be terribly cut-throat and, I make a lot of stuff for that market.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The heck with that, did you see the butter spreader?

Mmmm, butter.

Dave

*******************

Better yet: "Mmmm, BACON!"

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The brushes last about a week in the chain eateries. They can replace the brush but usually don't.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

========== If you want cheap and customizable see

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I wonder how much that indicates that the handles bend or break...

-- Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences. No good is ever done in this world by hesitation. -- Thomas H. Huxley

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm sure there is more suitable material than EMT, and at a better price, at quantity 4K/month.

Reply to
clare

After seeing what the finished product would look like I would suggest making a bender similar in concept to the link George McDuffee provided. I would have it to use air cylinders to muscle the bend and make both bends at the same time.

Operation would be to place EMT in bender over one die and under the other, this bender would be vertical so parts drop freely after the bend is completed.

So, place EMT in bender, actuate (button or pneumatic valve), bend takes a couple seconds maybe. Shallow bend is bent down over fixed die, steeper bend is bent up over another fixed die. When cylinders are retracted, the end bent upward falls and the shallow bend isn't enough to hang up so it falls freely in a box of bent handles.

This should be capable of 10 per minute, be cheap and simple to make and control, not strain or exhaust an operator...

The part that rotate around the die to make the bend could rotate using a trailer axle stub and hub, tapered roller bearings on the cheap, long life, heavy duty, grease with boat trailer hub greasers.

Adjustable stops fine adjust the bend angle...

On prepared EMT, the bend operation should be nearly completed in about 8 hour per month, low labor cost. Gotta compete with them Mexicans!

Optional automated EMT cutting, loading, drilling, and assembly.

If this is clear as mud I could sketch up a concept drawing.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

That handle doesn't look like it was bent on a standard EMT bender. Look at the pdf

It looks like they have a formed arch in the inner radius to give the handle strength.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I bet you could find something else besides EMT for less money.

John

Reply to
John

Yabbut, it's a little hard to put bacon on your corn-on-the-cob. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

True, however you can roll it in bacon fat...

Reply to
Pete C.

Tom, no suggestions on the bending but at work we've bought plastic caps and plugs from

and
and been happy with both. I'm sure one or both will have a cheap push in plug that will fit.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames