Difference between a Shars and Kurt vise

Has anyone ever compared them to see what is better about the Kurt vise? I have a Shars vise and want to know what I am missing. THanks

Ignoramus8104

The Shars vise looks like the $90 vise I bought and refitted some time ago. See "Clone 4" Kurt-style Mill Vise Acquired" in March and February

2010 in RCM.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I don't have the shars, copy, (I have 2 Kurt vises I got on enco sale

10 years ago), I got a bison brand (not the polish company) copy from penntool. Reading the shars info they took words from kurts documentation like 80,000 psi ductile iron body (shars 80,000 lbs of ductile iron typo). What I'm not seeing directly in the kurt web site is any mention of "Groove lock" a workstop system that is very handy. They don't even show the machined groove in the back jaw that this clamps into in any of the vise photos. This is patented by kurt. Their Anglock patent must have timed out, as the shars vise and bison copy are claiming this same feature.

I don't know that the workstop feature is worth $250 as there are other methods of clamping a workstop to the bit of jaw that stands above the vise body.

penntool link to kurt for $400

ignator

Reply to
ignator