I hate can openers!!

--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?
Reply to
steamer
You can't beat an Edlund for durability. This is the #2, a slightly smaller version than the #1:
Jon
Reply to
Jon Danniken
I have mounted a 60's vintage swing away wall mount crank style unit that we removed from wife's grandma's house before it was bulldozed under the sink
--pretty sure they are still in business.

PrecisionmachinisT
I wonder why this one is "currently unavailable?"
On the TV ad, it looks almost miraculous. I wonder if they're sold out, or got driven out of business because in reality it's a piece of crap?
Good Luck! Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
That's for restaurant kitchens, for opening those bulk cans that are about a foot tall by 9" diameter. I doubt if a normal-sized can would even fit in one.
Thanks, Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
Not electric, but the Swing-Away brand available at yard sales for 5 to 25 cents sure open cans easy, even for this old fart with carpal tunnel and all that. Very little effort, and the handles are long, giving you good leverage, and wide so they don't hurt your fingers where you grasp them. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but the one I have will probably outlast me, and it was used when I got it years ago.
Steve
Heart surgery pending?

Steve B
Is swing away a style description, or the actual brand name? Swing-Away brand name openers ROCK!
Steve
Heart surgery pending?

Steve B
mounted I adore the old wall-mounted style.
Amco has an ergonomic which might work for her:
Take a nitro pill and sit down. Then go to this site for the price scare of the century:
BLOODY 'ELL!
Now get your wife an Oster:
reviews by arthritics.
-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Not sure but will try and look for a brand name on it later get back this evening hopefully--right now I'm in the shop dinking around with some titanium screws for a local surgeon....still need to rack 10 gallons of beer into kegs--then gonna smoke some pork and also form a 15lb hamburger chub into individul patties and freeze...later will continue with the chevy 4l60E transmission rebuild...hopefully find that taco pump thats kicking around here someplace make a set of flanges for it get some bottom heat in the greenhouse...
Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT
Like others here, I like Swing-a-Way brand, they are heavy steel with geared drivewheel/cutterwheel coupling. These are classics, like Vise-grip pliers, and all the imitations fall short .
Another style of canopener uses a hard indenter wheel to split the seam of the can lid, leaving a press-fit lid for the can; this works well for eat-half-now meal plans. It's a lovely little mechanism...
<
whit3rd
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote
..still need to rack 10 gallons of beer
My list of to do's is shortening, and my beer making is rotating up. I just have about everything I need, just need to set up and do it. Am looking forward to some homebrewed porter and darker ales. Made one Corny of porter, and it was great. Just need to get the stuff set up so that it doesn't take longer to get everything together than to actually brew and ferment it ............ My aim is to have a full CO2 setup with about four Cornies in the fridge at any given time. I have just about decided not to bottle, or do so on very limited runs.
So much to do, so little time .............
Steve
Heart surgery pending?

Steve B
So, THAT's where those suckers disappeared to!
But do they have an electric model?
Thanks, Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
Wet or Dry ? I have a great dry rub recipe , tastes great on pork shoulders/butts , chicken , even briskets . Smokin' with dry rub is really big in Memphis ... though when it comes to ribs I prefer wet grillin' .
Reply to
Snag
I have been using for years Moulinex OpenMaster model 247 (its newer reincarnation is Krups OpenMaster #404), simply briliant.
They are of the seam splitting type, no contact between the blade and can contents, hence no cleaning to do. Neither any sharp edges.
Beware of the battery operated "One Touch" varieties, they look similar but they cut the can just below the seam, contacting contents with the blade.
Reply to
Yuki
The Swingaway has its fulcrum at the end, which does give more leverage than scissor types. And, when wear makes the cutting gap too wide, undo the fixing nut for the cutting wheel and put its shim on the other side. Good enough to be the first can opener in outer space!
Reply to
Jordan

Site Timeline