Vise update

Hello all,

I removed the fixed jaw, cleaned it (there was a fair amount of gunk but not much in the way of debris), and slid it under a plunge indicator. There might be an argument for 0.0001 in variation, but not much more than that.

After careful cleaning and replacement of both jaws, I indicated the vise on a clamped parallel as I have been doing, and had a much easier time than before. The end result is essentially what I saw on the "part that ate the tap", only w/o the bounce from the finish.

Just as with the bolts on my mill's column, the jaws must have been attached by King Rong ;) I finally ended up standing on the Allen wrench to loosen the bolts; with my hands, I was afraid it would break loose and a finger would follow - they were that tight. I put them back with a fairly good tug on the same wrench, but not nearly as tight as delivered.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Kudos. I just checked the jaws on my new Enco 4". They were shaped like a rope suspension bridge on both the front and back. Cheap is cheap. Good news is the face within an inch of either end are coplanar at least, just have to remember that when fixturing small stuff. Hole pattern isn't centered on either jaw nor in the same place between jaws. yuk.

I'm going to hang on to that one. King Rong. Chuckle. =)

Reply to
StaticsJason

I called Kurt about a 6" mill vise about 20 years ago, and they told me to torque down the bolts to 150 lbs. for the fixed jaw. (1/2" bolt)

Reply to
Richard W.