Got no water

Just got in for lunch. My better half is all out of sorts because we have no water. A quick look showed its more than circuit breaker, motor overload, etc.

I remember a trouble shooting guide on the web that somebody on RCM pointed out. Can't find it right now. Any suggestions?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

First thing I usually do is is look for a blown start capacitor in the controller box, most of these have a fusable link in them these days and so when they go out it's pretty obvious....

If you do find a bad cap, replace it and go on about finding out if / why the pump has been short-cycling--usually, you'll find that the tank is waterlogged for some reason.

Other than that, bad contacts on the pressure switch are fairly common...and if the switch has a lever on it, then it could simply be that the power went out overnight and so you'll need to hold the lever down till the system develops ~30 lbs or so--a pair of vise grips makes a pretty good "handle extension" for this as the lever is generally too short to provide enough leverage to comfortably hold in position by hand..

Don't condemn the pump without checking winding continuity ( suggest check it AT the wellhead--because this eliminates any bad above-ground connections that would otherwise skew your readings )......you should have continuity between all three wires and your actual resistance reading is generally going pretty low--if it's someplace between about 4 and 10 ohms then I would suspect that the pump windings are probably okay. Also check for shorts to ground...

Good luck.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Have you looked at the pressure switch?

-jim

Reply to
jim

I had this link flagged because the pdf had some troubleshooting info in it (Red Jacket Water Products):

Leon Fisk

Thanks, this will do it. I checked all the common stuff, no joy.

So I went to town and made up a coupling adaptor to hook the irrigation pump to a house hydrant. I can run the irrigation and have house water. This will get us till Monday or so. Run it one hour twice a day. No way I don't have a broken part. I'll ohm out the pump next to determine if its control box or pump.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

for the record, here's the manual I was looking for. About the same as Leon's link.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I had trouble with bugs in the contacts on the pressure switch,

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
bill

For the next time this happens, do you have a place in the orchard or a nearby ridge about 100' (or a bit more) higher than the house?

You put a gravity water tank up there, and you'll have ~45 PSI at the house - and running any of the well pumps can fill it (reverse action float switch to start the pump) and give you a healthy reserve - No more waterlogged captive-air tanks when it's all running on gravity...

Or call it your Fire Tank, run a 6" main down the hill and put hydrants near the house and the various barns and outbuildings, and write it off.

Next time - a Pump Pallet in a pickup, or an old Pumper.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human