What is it? CXCIV

This week's set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

1067 Earth clamp for doing electrical isolations.
Reply to
Stephen Robinson

1071 is a marking knife for timber - a timber scribe. R
Reply to
RicodJour

1072 Ice scraper for windshields

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
Dave W

1069: A homemade foot valve for some sort of water pump?

1071: Ditto on the race knife or timber scribe.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

1067 Is called a hot tap. It is for high voltage, it is missing the tee lug that a jumper would go in. The ring on the bottom is where a tool called a shotgun would go in, which is a long stick with a control rod that can hook in the ring, you hold this a foot or so above the power line and pull it down and the bill on the hot tap will catch the hot power line. Then you turn it to close the bottom jaw. ok for picking up load but not so good for dropping load. This one will work from #8 to 2/0 wire.

Don

Reply to
Don Murray

1068 Looks like a bearing puller to me I have a similar one in the garage

1071 Can opener on a pocket knife

Reply to
bremen68

1067: That is a Romulan warp gernade for blasting enemies into time warps. 1068: Some type of device for an unknown pipe fitting procedure. 1069: Combination pimp cane/bitch whip for keeping "da ho's" in line. 1070: Spanish Inquisition device for pulling the tongues out of non-believers. 1071: No idea. 1072: No idea. Dave OK...I got stumped so I kow I don't win anything this time.
Reply to
dav1936531

No. 1069: Sample collector, plunged into a wagonload/truckload of grain.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

1067: Slide it onto one line and attach another line to it, but I have no idea why. 1068: Looks like a big molly bolt and probably serves a similar purpose -- flatten it, insert it into a hole in a hollow wall, then expand it to provide a support for something. 1069: George Brett's childhood baseball bat

1070: Perhaps for handling just-fired ceramics

1071: Glasscutting tool, perhaps

1072: Socket wrench sockets with an inverted drive.

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

According to R.H. :

1067) This looks to be to quickly make and/or break connections to power lines in the range from 8 gauge to 2-0 gauge. 1068) And this looks to be to support the center of a wire spool, allowing you to unreel the wire. I *think* that it should be mounted to a pivot at the end away from the knob, but I can't see that in the photo. 1069) From the size and the location of the handle, it would appear to be a walking stick -- with a rattling center dowel to keep you from accidentally sneaking up on a bear or other critter. I think that the marble in the hole is intended to either be a magnifier, or perhaps to help in starting fires by concentrating the sun -- though it seems a bit small for that. 1070) Perhaps for handling flasks full of acid at a safe distance while diluting the acid?

I might think for handling glass which is being formed, except that wood would be a poor choice for that. :-)

1071) A strange beastie. :-)

The L-shape with the U in it is to guide the blade along the edge of something, but I can't guess what.

1072) Hmm ... they sort of look like Robertson (square drive) screwdriver bits, except for the depression on the end. Are they steel or plastic?

If plastic, they sort of look like the reel spindles for audio cassette tapes -- though nothing explains why they are stored in that white paddle.

Now to see what others have said, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It's made for a wide range of diameters, and each finger has a long step and a short step.

I think it's a piston-ring placer. I used to use my fingers, but there was a danger of breaking a ring or scoring the piston.

Some ring spreaders are like tongs. It seems to me there would still be a danger of damage. Some ring spreaders are keys to hold the gap open. A mechanic would need a key suited to the ring he was working with, and I think some rings have diagonal gaps.

This device could be used on really big pistons, and perhaps installing rings on big pistons is especially tricky.

You screw the thing closed enough for the ring to fit around the small steps. Then you stick it into the bottom of the piston so the skirt comes to the top of the long steps. When you expand, the ring will be just big enough to slide onto the piston. The ring will be in a plane perpendicular to the axis of the piston.

Patent 1262036 (1918) shows a three point piston-ring placer. 1385922 (1921)

Reply to
E Z Peaces

I don't think so -- unless your pistons are hollow all the way through. :-) How are you going to get the other three arms and the screw out of the way to slip the rings over the piston?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I used to put them on the skirt end. I'd start with the ring that belonged closest to the skirt, to fill that groove so the next ring would slide over it.

I think the tool would be smaller if it were for gasoline engines. A tool that big would have to be screwed out pretty far to fit a 5" bore, for example, and then the piston would have to be pretty deep to have room for the end of the screw.

In the photo, it's adjusted for a bore of about 9" and would need a piston 5 or 6" deep. A piston that size would probably have plenty of depth for the tool.

I think the reason the screw has a couple of inches of extra threads at the knob end is not to work on small bores but to bring the arms in against the screw for compact storage. I'd say it's for diesels with bores in the 7 - 11" range. The engines on locomotives and tugboats often have bores about 9".

Some kinds of piston rings can be damaged by excessive stretching during installation. Maybe that's why the tool was invented.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

1072 is a fish scaler. Recently reviewed on Cool Tools Blog

Lee

Reply to
Pythor

Five of the six have been answered correctly, I'm still not sure about 1068:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

1070 - I think it's to hand somebody a rope.

I've worked aboard three fishing boats. The seine would be more than a thousand feet with a rope along the top and a rope along the bottom. The motor dory would take one end in a big circle around the school. Then the dory guy would transfer his ends of the ropes to the boat.

Now I can't recall how it was done. It had to be quick and simple and foolproof. With both boats bobbing it seems too far to reach up from the launch to somebody on the boat.

The tongs would extend one's reach by nearly four feet. They're too big for the nylon we used but look the right size to grab the ropes used before synthetics.

The tongs would pinch a rope at two points a handswidth apart. Pull from the bight would flex the rope where it was pinched, which could cause it to slip out. It wouldn't flex and slip at the other pinch point, toward the end. As the bight would pull toward the person holding the tongs, there would be less flexing with the second version, with its angled head.

Being almost entirely wood, they would float. They could also be used to reach down to pick up a rope on the water.

Reply to
Bill Rider

According to R.H. :

I'll make some comments about the guesses shown for 1068:

  1. Piston ring placer

I think it unlikely -- mostly because the support arms at the corners are pivoted in such a way that the piston ring could collapse the end and cause the ring to slide back off.

  1. Bearing puller

It does not appear strong enough for this function -- at least not for any bearings which I have removed.

  1. Pipe fitting tool

Perhaps -- I missed the description of the pipe fitting, so I don't know how they had it used. Perhaps something to hold a flange concentric with a large pipe while the flange was welded onto the pipe? I could see it serving that function -- though I would expect the screw to be copper coated to make it easier to keep splatter from sticking and rendering it impossible to unscrew.

  1. Large molly bolt

No stop flange to keep it from going through the wall, and I would see no function for the pivoted arms at the corners.

  1. Wire spool support

This was my initial guess -- but I would like a detailed look at the end away from the knob to have a better feel for this.

  1. Thread cleaner for screw breech artillery

Perhaps -- with some chasers which fit on over the arms shown.

  1. Camera tripod

Highly unlikely. Too slow to set up (given the length and the pitch of the screw). You would have to turn the screw far enough out so the bottom end passed a toggle point, and that would require the arms at the bottom end to be shorter than the arms at the knob end.

8??) It might also be to expand some form of ring inside something as part of fitting.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Seriously Don, if you don't know what it is, stop with the wild guesses.

todd

Reply to
todd