Hobart Cyber-tig - Fuse Problems

Hi I have a 1978 Hobart Cyber-Tig 300 AC/DC and I have a problem I hope someone can help me with.

When the unit is turned on, my welder seems to blow both 5 amp fuses immediately. I don't have the schematics or a good manual and I was hoping someone out there could help me trouble shoot or provide me with any information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Al

alred1201 at hotmail.com if you'd like to email me.

Reply to
jlr385

Check out CyberTig manuals in PDF form here

Do you have anything plugged into the auxiliary outlet? Is your high frequency off?

Ignoramus18683

Was it ever working right?

John

Reply to
John

Really need more info before saying much. Things like is it a Cyber Tig or is it a Cyber Tig II ? Single phase or three phase?

Anyway I have manuals for a older model Cyber Tig (1970) single phase machine. Might or might not be more accurate than Iggy's newer manuals.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

(I am posting for my father "Al" so please bare with me as I try to get all the terminology correct)... :)

John: My father has owned the welder for about 3 years now and it's always worked well (up until this point)

Ignoramas: We looked at those pdfs and they are not for the same machine. We were hoping for something a bit closer to the age/model of my dad's machine.

There is nothing plugged into the auxiliary outlet and the fuses blow no matter if the high frequency is on or off.

Wayne: I'll provide you anything you need to know as we would love to get this welder back up and running (My father uses it alot). The welder is a CyberTig and it's a single phase.

Additional information: The cooling fan still runs and the Argon and Water circulate continuously after the fuses blow

I hope that helps a little bit.

Let me know if I can get anymore information for you!

Jen (Al's Daughter)

Reply to
jlr385

Ok. A quick look at the trouble shooting chart only shows one listing for fuses blowing.

Contactor operates and blows fuse.

Causes

Wrong line voltage Links in overload panel incorrectly connected Fuse to small Diode Failed Short circuit in primary connections Transformer failed

It looks like they're talking about the main fuse/breaker to the welder blowing there.

Looking at the schematic I believe that both of those fuses go to the programmer drawer. The schematics are really hard to read and pretty much require you to be looking at the insides of the welder at the same time to make much sense.

I'll try to get them scanned and posted on my web site but it will take a few days. It's storming now so my printer scanner is unplugged (it's a high dollar color laser so I don't take any chances). I'll be working late tomorrow and have to pick up my wife from the nursing home for a visit Friday. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Wayne: Thank you so much for all your help. I hope this mystery can be solved!

Reply to
jlr385