long newbie update - was Worlds worst Pilot

Hey all, I wanted to share some of my newbieness. After thanksgiving i posted my First flight failure report. Glad to say im doing a bit better.

6-pack of new propellers arrived so Me & the guys from the office took the SlowStick out again the other day at lunchtime. During the range check, keith noticed the servos were reversed on the elevator AND rudder. Possibly why i turned LEFT into a tree and crashed only a few seconds into her maiden voyage. Still a dumb mistake, but somehow i feel better about it.... Straightened things out and we flew nicely, properly, heck - almost like we knew what we were doing. SInce we were passing the Tx back and forth, 'we' pretty much experienced the same things. Had a couple of deadstick landings from when the battery got low and the motor shut off. Anybody with a SS knows that she doesnt really fly any differently without the motor, so the landings were actually damned fine if i do say so myself. With a nice stiff belt of Baileys in my coffee, i got up the nerve to try some fancy stuff. Dove straight down and pulled a couple of nice loops not 6 feet off the deck. I havent been this excited since the first time i got to 3rd base ;) I did crash into a baseball field backstop, and also crashed when a gust of wind (maybe 10mph) caught her mid-turn and she got into a death spiral. Ive since figured out that full throttle and hard 'countersteering' can usually save the day. Boy, she hates wind though. Next day was really way too windy, but WTH. Kieth took her up, wind caught her badly and he managed to keep it level, but couldnt fight the wind, so he ended up landing in a tree about 4 feet up. I took her for a spin and after a few minutes i wound up in a tree also. About 30 feet up. I have no excuse, wind wasnt to bad at the moment. My depth perception was telling me that i was 20 feet in front of the tree. Oh well. Havent shimmied up a tree in ages. Didnt do badly for an out of shape computer luser. Need new glasses. So far, in maybe 8 flights weve broken 4 props, and dented a wing from throwing snowballs to get her out of the damned tree. crashed maybe 12-15 times. Some pretty hard too. Gotta love this plane. Weather this week is supposed to suck, so i gotta get my jollies with FMS for a few days. Cant wait to get out again. Seems ive got this big fish hook in my cheek pulling me towards the field....

Thrills and chills at 6mph. Thanks y'all, Mike

Reply to
MikeF

That's pretty damn funny! Your summary below cracked me up - you've got the right attitude though! Good luck and hope for better weather.

Jim

throwing snowballs

Reply to
Joe Bill

Dont feel bad about the reversed servos. I did that to a much flown 40T trainer. For some reason, the night before that particular flight, I got the idea that I had a reversed aileron servo for some reason (Gremlins) so I "corrected" the problem (Dummy) to what it should (Not) be. Realized my mistake (Oh S&^T) about 50' into the climb out and tho I tried valiantly (Mommy!) to fly with the reverse servo I piled it (Cant hold it she's breaking up) in. No damage tho! (Skidmark)

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

yeah, its funny in about the same way "Americas Funniest Home Videos" is. I can watch a guy get hit in the knutz by his 3year old kid fo rhours and it doesnt get old.

I really ought to film my flights, but im worried that the tape may get subpeona'd some day....

Reply to
MikeF

hehe... Fortunately, i did see the wreck videos on your site so i really dont feel *too* bad. I really have no excuse for not catching it, but y'all seem to miss that sorta thing occasionally too. The second crash into a tree does bother me though. I swear it looked to be about 20 feet in front of that tree.... You should see this park though. Its a pilots nightmare. Trees, baseball backstops, chain link fences around the fields, 60foot light towers...yeesh. Anything faster than the SS and even an expert pilot would be sweatin.

Reply to
MikeF

Next time, leave the Baileys at home. Alcohol has no place in this hobby.

elevator AND rudder.

experienced the

differently without

About 30 feet up.

telling me that

throwing snowballs

hard too. Gotta

jollies with FMS

Reply to
me

One of the trees at the field we fly at seems to have some kind of balsa magnetism for my Dad's planes. Its gotten to the point where I aim his planes directly away from that tree yet he still manages to either hit it or come extremely close. I can see gyroscopic forces making the plane head to the left, but come on! Next time I am aiming his plane directly AT the tree just to see what happens. I thought I was an expert pilot till the afternoon I tried to land thru an open gate. Most of the plane made it thru.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople