Any idea what this plane is?

Here's some pictures --

any idea what this is?

The vertical stabilizer isn't stock -- it's a good deal larger than it used to be, I know that ... but other than that, I don't know what this plane is or where it came from.

It flies like you'd expect ... pretty tame.

The pull start on the engine is remarkably convenient :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Those were sold by Hobby Shack, or Hobby People in recent past, don't see it in their ad's anymore, I just threw away a bunch of their(Hobby Shack) old ad's so I can't look up name of it.

Reply to
john hebert

Haunting memory . . . I seem to remember one called a Dragon Fly, but that is only a guess.

Red S.

Red Scholefield

| Hey Doug - that's a "Flying Start" with obvious improvements (landing gear, | see thru nose!). Was sold by Hobby Shack, I found it in a Feb. 1995 RCM | magazine ad. They list the engine as a Magnum XL-15, BB/ABC and it sold for | $119.99.

You nailed the engine as well, so I suspect that you're right on the money. As for the improvements, I'm not sure about the landing gear (it was like that when I got it) but the transparant nose is my doing. I kinda like it, so I don't think I'm going to change/improve/fix it. :)

Of course, just like every other glow engine I have, the engine has issues. It starts up just fine, runs for a few seconds to a minute or so, then dies, going from `fine' to `dead' in a second -- no sputtering or anything like that. Haven't even gotten to adjusting the low end yet -- can't get the high end right. Time to take the fuel system and carburator apart, see what's wrong ...

| > The vertical stabilizer isn't stock -- it's a good deal larger than it | > used to be, I know that ... but other than that, I don't know what | > this plane is or where it came from. | >

| > It flies like you'd expect ... pretty tame. | >

| > The pull start on the engine is remarkably convenient :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

If every glow engine you have has issues, have you considered that it may not be the engines?

Sounds like it just isn't getting enough fuel.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

| > Of course, just like every other glow engine I have, the engine has | > issues. ... | If every glow engine you have has issues, have you considered that it | may not be the engines?

Of course I have. Of course, these engines are on several different planes, and each one seems to have different issues. I've even tried different sorts of fuel, leaving only one constant -- me. :)

| Sounds like it just isn't getting enough fuel.

Right. In the case of THIS engine, I suspect that there's some crud in the carburator, fuel line or tank. Haven't gotten around to it, but will take apart and clean everything out soon.

Glow engines just like to frustrate me. They're great when they work, but I just seem to spend far too much time futzing with them -- and I'm not even one of those guys who tries to tweak out the last few RPM.

Oh well. At least my gliders and electrics like me :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren