What is this aluminum extrusion for?

The metals place I go to has new metal & salvage. New drops end up tossed in with salvage in some spots too.

When looking around in the aluminum, I see pieces of this odd extruded bar scattered around the place. What is it used for?

It is always a thick round tube around 1.5-2 inches diameter, with 3 or

4 small hemispherical "teeth" placed equally around it. I've never seen any pieces more than four teeth, or less than three teeth.

See crude drawing here-

-tiny-

????

Reply to
DougC

Nope, but if its cheap enough you could turn it into material for rod and tube applications quick enough.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

There are three-corner modular rails, and four-corner rails, that could be developed from these sections (by milling the ribs). Any two adjacent ribs form a kind of dovetail.

Here's an optical-quality example: <

I recall a rail 'system' that includes clamps and joints as well as supporting sliding apparatus. It's kinda like grown-up TinkerToys.

Reply to
whit3rd