Aluminum Extrusion Profiles for mounting NEMA 23 ?

While researching the various ways to convert my Sherline mill to CNC it occured to me that certain profiles of aluminum extrusions might be perfect for mounting some NEMA 23 and other "format" stepper motors by just slicing off a couple of inches and tapping or using self-tapping screws, with the motor shaft running longitudinally down a hollow extrusion.
Has anyone done this ? I am primarily interested in NEMA 23 but I'm sure that extrusions readily adaptable to other mounting schemes would be useful for tinkerers frequenting this group. Maybe strong plastic extrusions would work too ?
JCD