Aluminum extrusion

I'm looking for something I've always heard called "rope pull". It is an aluminum extrusion that when viewed from the end has a 1" flat piece with a

3/8" round tube, but a slit cut lengthwise in the tube. You use it to hang awnings. You first pop rivet the extrusion to an awning frame. You sew a piece of rope into a canvas hem. Then you slip the rope into the round hole. You put the rope and canvas in the slit. You then pull the rope and canvas through the extrusion, and this anchors the canvas on that side of the awning. Anyone ever use it, or know where I can get some?

Wayne, you're so up on metal conversation, how about it?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Try a RV place, most RV's have a strip along the door side for an awning. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Steve This is common practice for modern sailboats, where a rope is sewed into the canvas edge. This is called a bolt rope. The canvas is then pulled by a halyard through an extruded opening in the spar. This works well because the entire edge of the canvas is supported by the extruded opening in the spar. Obviously, you don't want a complete mast or boom for a sailboat, but you may find that foresail furling systems use tubes that the forestay feeds through the center, but on the periphery of this tube is an extruded channel that the leading edge of the foesail is pulled through. These extrusions come in many sizes with a standard length of 6 meters and each piece is then locked at the ends into another similar tube until the required length has been met. These extrusions are done by major aluminum firms like Alcoa, but these are proprietary designs that the extrusion houses are not allowed to sell, as they belong to the company that designed them. So, if you need a few lengths of the extrusions, you will have to buy them from the design and extrusion die holder. Since you did not specify the size you will need, you will have to contact those companies your self to find one that may wish to meet your need. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Slight clarification Steve, we don't use canvas any more. Haven't for a century or more...

I don't mind the "bolt rope" on a foil for a roller furled head sail, but I much prefer slugs to rope on the main!

Roller furled sails are simply rolled up rather that raised each time, thus are not subjected to the same wear.

Dacron abrades rather easily - even on aluminum - and reacts chemically with stainless steel (makes ugly black stains that don't want to come off).

We still have the extrusion - either attached to the mast, or extruded in as part of the mast.

The extrusion SteveB asked about falls into the same situation. The awning is installed - once - and roll up rather than taken off each time.

As for an extrusion for a roller awning, they are generally extruded are a rather large diameter tube.

But it could me done with a piece of pipe and a stiffener swen into the end of the awning. Then the awning could be riveted or screwed to the roller.

RIchard

Reply to
cavelamb

I am familiar with the awnings to which you refer, but that is not the type I am involved with. What I am doing is building steel frames, and then covering them with Raven Mills Sunbrella canvas. This canvas is made and intended to be out in the weather 24/7 in all weather conditions and not furled or unfurled. I have seen the roller awnings you refer to, and have had several on motorhomes. However, for this application, the extrusion is used for the top horizontal member, and then the bottom edges of the canvas are attatched to the steel frame by various means. BTW, some use aluminum for frames, but I don't have aluminum welding capabilities, and all my experience is with steel square tube.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote

I think what you want is on page 1 of this catalog:

On the last page of the catalog they list their locations.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

You use it to hang

Reply to
Keith Marshall

How did you find that? I had an idea I knew what he was looking for but my google searches failed?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I googled "aluminum weatherstrip extrusion" and the company was the first unpaid link. I clicked on the link for "Awning" and there it was.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I googled "aluminum weatherstrip extrusion" and the company was the first unpaid link. I clicked on the link for "Awning" and there it was.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I googled "aluminum weatherstrip extrusion" and the company was the first unpaid link. I clicked on the link for "Awning" and there it was.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I get various company names, but can't find that one. Which company was it?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Loxcreen

Page 1

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Thanks a lot. I had seen the one type, but had never seen the one inch square with the round pull channel in it. I did look at some today that was one inch square with the side cut out, and the fabric was held in place with a rubber extrusion. This will help when I am ready to order this if I can't find it locally. Thanks again.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You're welcome. :-)