NEMA 6-15P vs. NEMA 14-15R

It fits! There's one open slot, though.

On 30 Sep 2006 14:31:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

No harm no foul, You are connecting single phase 208-230 piece of equipment to a 3p 208/230 circuit. If you are watching the nameplate (208 vs 230) you are fine. You would have the same issue if it was a 3p piece of equipment with a 14-15 plug
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:15:33 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
| On 30 Sep 2006 14:31:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |>It fits! There's one open slot, though. | | No harm no foul, You are connecting single phase 208-230 piece of | equipment to a 3p 208/230 circuit. If you are watching the nameplate | (208 vs 230) you are fine. You would have the same issue if it was a | 3p piece of equipment with a 14-15 plug
Uh ... NEMA 14-XX is for single phase 3-wire 120/240 with ground. The 30 amp version is what is typically seen in a home for a clothes dryer. The 50 amp version is what is typically seen in a home for a stove in the kitchen. But I'm referring to the smaller 15 amp version here.
Three phase equipment with a 14-15 plug would be "wrong". But I suppose connecting 2 phases of three phase 120/208 service to a 14-15R would be suitable. You'd get 208 volts to equipment plugged in with a 14-15P or 6-15P.
Three phase 120/208 would use 18-XX for ungrounded or 21-XX for grounded. There are no straight blade configurations for 21-XX.
Three phase 240 delta would use 11-XX for ungrounded or 15-XX for grounded.
On 30 Sep 2006 23:51:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

I guess I was confused by the labelling here (phase X. Y. Z) http://www.quail.com/nema.cfm
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 13:11:37 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: | On 30 Sep 2006 23:51:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |>Uh ... NEMA 14-XX is for single phase 3-wire 120/240 with ground. | | I guess I was confused by the labelling here (phase X. Y. Z) | http://www.quail.com/nema.cfm
Actually, they seem to be following the NEMA labelling, which is "W" for the neutral location (presumably meaning "white", or just coincidence).
On 2 Oct 2006 08:02:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

If you look at the 15a unit it is X,Y,Z The 20 and 30a unit say X,Y and "W" indicating the neutral. I went to the "Blue" store this morning but they don't stock a 14-15R I was curious what color the screws were and how it was labelled (installation instructions etc)
For the purposes of the original question it still would not make any difference. The common pins between the 6-16 and 14-15 are still going to be the phases and ground. If you had a 240 only load on the 3 prong plug the connection would still be fine, Maybe there IS a plan ;-)
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:20:35 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: | On 2 Oct 2006 08:02:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |>| I guess I was confused by the labelling here (phase X. Y. Z) |>| http://www.quail.com/nema.cfm |> |>Actually, they seem to be following the NEMA labelling, which is "W" for |>the neutral location (presumably meaning "white", or just coincidence). | | | If you look at the 15a unit it is X,Y,Z | The 20 and 30a unit say X,Y and "W" indicating the neutral. | I went to the "Blue" store this morning but they don't stock a 14-15R | I was curious what color the screws were and how it was labelled | (installation instructions etc) | | For the purposes of the original question it still would not make any | difference. The common pins between the 6-16 and 14-15 are still going | to be the phases and ground. If you had a 240 only load on the 3 prong | plug the connection would still be fine, Maybe there IS a plan ;-)
I think it certainly was the plan from ages ago. But the plan didn't get carried further to higher amperages. But that is likely because of the designs that were done ages ago with no foresight for such things. Not that I'd really need it. I have no plans to use anything that would ever need a 14-15. For my 240 volt uses, it will be 6-XX for everything unless I can't find 2-wire replacements for the two things that commonly do use 3-wire circuits.
OTOH, if I ever do find a 14-15R, especially in duplex form, it might be interesting to have them around for people to wonder about.
It looks like Quail has it wrong. The NEMA WD 6 document has it right. My reference was the NEMA document. http://nema.org/stds/wd6.cfm