Lathe tools...what are they

Just been to collect the Viceroy Lathe. Fairly basic but it will do everything I want [probably]. Apart from the usual supply of chucks, MT adapters dial-gauges and 'normal' tools, there are some other odd items. I will post a link to some pics later.

Anyway there are 6 lathe tools which have a semi-circular groove machined into 2 opposing faces [one on each 'side' of the tool assuming the top and bottom of the tool are the faces which are normally clamped IYSWIM ?] there is a small tool holder [Myford] which these tools sit into and are adjustable in an 'arc'. Question is...what are they for? They have letters I,J,K,L,O,ES on them. Sorry to sound so numb but I am fairly new to making swarf

Many thanks

Reply to
Clive Dive

Maybe this will help?

Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

You know, that is really frightening. I didn't realize that anyone would make insert tools that could be set to the wrong angle in a Myford boat.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Interesting! Have they done away with the toolbits with cemented tips? I had two of those shear off, right in the middle of a cut. The toolbit set was purchased in the mid 1970s, when I bought the ML7.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Many thanks for the replies. I will put up some pics of the lathe tools and 'boat' as it looks slightly different to the ones on John's link

This was in the box of goodies with the lathe, but what is it?

I assume that it is for the lathe as it is the same colour as all the other bits, but I may well be wrong!!!

Reply to
Clive Dive

Looks like a headstock casting, though whether its for a seven I cannot say.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson