Myford clutch

I'd like a clutch for my ML7, but they seem very hard to get hold of nowadays. I found a website that has a mod that makes the belt tension lever act like a clutch, on this page:

Has anyone any experience with this system? Is it worth a try or is it a pain to use etc?

Cheers, Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

Hi Stu

I have used the same method via slightly different design on my ML10 (no clutch product available for the ML10) for about five years now - not problem works a treat once you have set it up.

Must highlight that you have to turn off the motor for speed changing

- if the belt touches the moving pulley it will instantly pick up (with your fingers attached).

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Steam Train Dave

Hi Stu

My ML7 had an even simpler version that worked very well indeed, I simply made a "U" shaped strap from 5/16" diameter rod with a long thread on each leg, drilled two holes in the casting behind the belt for it to fit through with locknuts either side so its height can be adjusted. It should come right round both runs of the belt. The strap was about three inches wide between the legs so it works whichever pulley the belt is on at the time. To make it work you just need to make sure it is clear when the belt is tight, then when you move the countershaft down with the lever it pushes the front run of the belt back a bit and lets it slip nicely.

Phil

Reply to
philip

Stu Hi,

Like Dave I used the same setup on a Myford Speed 10 for over 10 years. When properly setup it worked well enough but I never trusted that it wouldn't grab my fingers when it was disengaged. It never gave me a problem but I was always wary particularly if I had the chuck key in with the motor running. The other problem it gave me was as the drive was taken up it would judder; this got much worse as the belt got older and was covered in the usual oil etc. A touch of French chalk on the belt every few weeks helped and of course if you engaged drive quickly it wasn't a real problem. If there is no alternative then it works OK but now having used a proper clutch on my S7 I would fit one of these but keep looking. I have also used a simpler arrangement as Phil describes on an old Atlas and that also worked OK, still had the slight judder on take up though.

I would strongly agree with Phil, NEVER try to change speed with the motor running unless you have fallen out with your fingers or find you have too many!!

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I recall that an early Model Engineers Workshop had a pull out drawing for one.

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Thanks for the replies everyone, it sounds like it's got to be worth a try, even if it's not perfect. Norm, any ideas where I may get the drawing you mentioned, just in case I can't get details from the original site.

Thanks again, Stu

Reply to
stooby-doo

Hi Stu, I would expect that Magicalia will- or should have this.

Unfortunately, I haven't access to copies at this time but maybe one of us will have it tucked away and will let you have their mag. Failing this, it will have to be after Easter. Naturally, I expect that someone will always come up trumps. I have always had every assistance here.

Cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Thanks Norm, I got the drawings today, the email had been caught by spamjab so I didn't see them.

Stu

Reply to
stooby-doo