why I want the centrifugal clutch

Recently I asked about a centrifugal clutch for motorizing my bicycle. I already have the bike motorized. It can take me at moderate speeds. It needs refinement but the basics work. The problem is this: the engine sits over the rear wheel. Its shaft has a small v-pulley which drives a 21" rim affixed to the wheel as the driven pulley. As clutch there is a small wheel on an arm that moves to tension or loosen the v-belt. I move the the arm with a brake lever on the handlebar. It's just adecuate. The bad thing is that, even when totally loose, the mere weight of the v-belt resting on the driving pulley causes enough friction drag so that pull starting the engine gets very difficult. This engine pull starts very easily; you have to pull very fast, but not hard. With the added drag from the v-belt have I pull and pull very hard and unbelievably the shaft slows down enough to hinder the starting. For this reason also I can't start the engine by pedalling the bike. I really cant pedal that fast. Thus far I have tried to devise a sistem to make the v-belt float over the driving pulley while starting but I'cant come with anything useful. So other than removing the belt while I start the engine and then replacing it (doable but certainly undesirable and unpractical) I can't figure a way to make it work. I thought about a centrifugal clutch, but the ones available have problems:

-The Comet clutch would be ideal, its designed fot high inertia (minibikes,karts) applications but it engages at 1800 rpm, too low for the idle spped of the engine. Since its the non-adjustable type I'm not sure it can be opened and altered to give it higher engagement rpm.

-The chainsaw clutch should engage at the engine +2800 rpm idle speed, but its smaller than the Comet, plus Eric Snow noted that it would overheat while engaging, due to the higher inertia. Besides it would thake somewhat more machining to make it fit.

So with the current setup I'm gonna rip my arm off and keep making the ridicule in front of the whole neighborhood. Unknown if the Comet could be hacked to work. As for the chainsaw clutch, well I dont make the engine propel the bike from still but rather I pedal up to speed and then I engage the clutch and the engine takes over, so perhaps this should at least partly alleviate the overheating problem. What to do?

Thanks in advance,

Camilo

***
Reply to
Camilo Ramos

Figure out the machining to make a chainsaw clutch or a weedeater clutch work without extensive mods to the clutch.

Then buy a pile of them.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

The clutches sold on similar sized garden implements will work. Stop worrying about slippage. If the clutch slips, it is because the gearing is too high, or you are trying to get the motor to do something that it is unable. The solution is to adjust ratios until you get a working system.

Looking around on the web, I have seen a number of bike motors crafted from four stroke honda weedwacker powerplants (31cc IIRC). Those are not exactly the personification of the phrase "torquey engines". They are all using stock clutches, and pretty large ratio gear reductions.

Low tech solution. Take a look at the old pedal start style motorcyles. The common factor on them is the kickstand that supports the rear wheel off the ground while starting. No wheel on the ground equals no drag on the motor during startup.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

It seems to me that the chainsaw clutch would work. You don't really want the motor running at idle when it is is driving the bike so just rev up the motor, the clutch engages, then use your present belt clutch system for the final drive. So, the chain saw clutch allows starting while your present clutch allows driveability. On the other hand, you may be able to fit stronger springs to the Comet clutch. Go to a mini bike or fun kart store and look at the clutch. They are really simple. Maybe you could piggyback a pair of springs on top of the existing springs. I have a customer who used to race go carts. Next time he comes by I'll ask him if he has any suggestions. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow