Myford problems

Hi all,

I've been trying to help Ed Haas of R.C.M. with a snag he's been having with his Super 7B.

Myford's email has been bouncing, and he wasn't able to contact them. I've been in touch with them once by phone, but have been unable to get through since.

Frankly, my experience so far suggests that Myford need to get their customer service act together, but that's another thread.

Ed's problem is described in this email:

================================================================= Subject: Super 7B problems!

--Hello! I've got a number of problems with my lathe and now that I've got some time I want to tackle them and set all to rights. --I bought the lathe new around 1980; not sure of serial number.

(Subsequently found to be SK 156117 - Nigel)

but the number in the upper right corner of the manual is 5723V if that helps.. --First problem: countershaft clutch has stopped working, i.e. I cant disengage rotation. Instead when I rotate the lever I can see a visible bending of the casting, which suggests to me some sort of binding within the left end's bearing. I've been thru the manual and adjustments suggested there are having no effect. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the shaft to inspect the problem. I've loosened the hexagon nut (2) and I've backed out the pushrod (1) as far as I can. I've removed the two socket head screws that secure the Driver Plate (104), but I can't seem to remove this piece. I suspect I'm doing something wrong and, before I do more damage, could you advise me as to the proper method of disassembling the thing?

--Second problem: I'm making some parts for a friend. They're over 5 in. long, which is more than the travel of the tailstock (using the ram lever accessory), so changing parts (using the collet closer) necessitates unlocking the tailstock and moving it back a few inches every time I chage a part. What I'd like to do is increase the travel of the tailstock to make this move unnecessary, so I'm planning to drill and tap the righthand end of the shaft with a setscrew, then press in an extension. This will give me a place to attach a new lever arm, so that the chuck can be made to travel farther. What boggles my brain is how to re-egineer the ram lever and it's "bellcrank" geometry. If anyone has been down this road before I'd be obliged for any advice.

--Third problem: after 25 years of use I suspect the time has come to disassemble the headstock and inspect the innards. I'd also like any advice you might have about accomplishing this.

--Well there you are; any chance you'll post some how-to .pdf files to the the website any time soon? Thanks,

Having failed miserably in my attempt to help Ed, I'm now off on my travels tomorrow, so I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help.

I've X-posted this to R.C.M. so that Ed will see it.

Thanks guys!

Reply to
Nigel Eaton