Coolant questions

I've just got a coolant pump (Axminsters SIEG one) and have been using it on my ML7 for a couple of weeks now, so I've got a few questions.

I'm using a water soluble oil from Chronos (or milk, as my son calls it) as seen on this page:

this have any adverse effect on the metal of my lathe? It has the corrosion inhibitors etc in it. Is it ok to use to wash down the machine after use, and leave wet on the machine, or should I dry it down and oil it after each use?

The coolant gets flung over quite a wide area when working close to the chuck. Can it get to anything sensitive in the lathe motor? Should I be looking at splash-guarding the motor? Also does the Myford chuck guard extend further than the chuck jaws i.e far enough to deflect the spray.

I've been leaving the pump running continuously and opening the valve on the delivery pipe as required. Is this normal practice, should the pump run ok against a closed valve?

Cheers, Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

If you make it thick enough, things won't rust. If it is thin, they will. I also wash down my lathe with the coolant (it's so handy, I'm so lazy) but wipe it off a bit. If it dries and is leaving an oil film, you won't have problems.

But before mounting a different chuck or -on the mill- the vise, I spray some rust preventive oil onto the surface.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Thanks for the reply Nick. Let me know if yours starts rusting, then I'll know if I can expect a problem ;)

Cheers, Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

The lathe didn't rust until now. The mill was already rusty. Now wonder, she was born in 1946.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

...oi ... I was born in 1949 and I'm not at all rusty !!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson