Polish camo 1939

Looking for some thoughts on Polish camo in 1939. I have a small pile of PZL 11Cs and 23s. I have seen the upper camo on finished models and in profiles varying from green to greenish brown to brownish green. I have a line on a couple of the Profile series booklets for the 23 and the colors on that look green.

IPMS Stolkholm lists

Light Khaki (Khaki jasny) for Upper surfaces of fighter and reconnaissance aircraft. Also present in Lublin R-XIII camouflage

FS:30118 Testors miltiary brown very brown Hu:142 Field drab. Got a bit more green in it.

The blue gray for the undersides I'm not so worried about

The one at the Aviation Museum in Kraków seems to color shift depending on angle and sunlight in the pictures, looking brown in some and green-brown (khaki?) in others.

I'm not pendantic about colors, mind you. IMHO most paint in the period experienced fade and color shift depending on how long they were in service dependent on the quality and composition of the paint, sun, weather and the more immediate problems of trying not to get killed while killing the other guy. And apparently the Poles had much more important things to worry about and much of thier records were destroyed.

So an exact match is not required but a relativley good starting point would be nice. One gets the impression that the Polish aircraft were well maintained until the war started went through a brief series of combats and the survivors were destroyed or impressed into German and/or client states service after which the national markings were painted over at least or national colors were applied. So an in-service Polish air force should have been in fairly good shape overall, modest fading and chipping, etc.

Anyway the 11c really tweaked me after taking a good look at it. Very interesting state of the art at one time. Gave the Germans more a fight than the expected. Might have to do a Do-17 to go with them. Might make for a good cieling hanger dio. Revell, Heller, Encore and 2 of the more recent ones from Poland direct via eBay. And the Karras looks kinda cool, too, a type that was just getting past being competitive as the war broke out. Giving some thought to the Eduard PE for the 23.

Reply to
ftauss