My Lister A fuel pump...

...doesn't, in a word (pump that is).
I've looked at the various posts on the two principal forums but I'm
afraid I'm no further forward despite some useful and interesting
posts at the Internal Fire forum.
I've also examined the documentation mentioned at the forum but that
appears to show a pump which is slightly different (inevitably!).
Mine has a plain plunger and a different cap and came apart in the
order: cap, plunger, approx. 10-12mm spiral of felt-like packing
material pressing against a shoulder in the bore, small spring (v
similar to one from say, a Biro), the remains of (possibly) a gland/
more packing material (too disintegrated to tell), a ball valve and
the inlet connection.
The pump illustrated in the Lister A manual shows a plunger with a
distinct 'head', a different cap and no spiral of packing material. Of
course, it could simply be that the pump has been 'rebuilt' and put
together wrongly by the previous owner.
Can anyone throw some light on this so I can rebuild the thing and get
the A working again? Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Jerry
Jerry I cannot see the thread on IF, probably because I know not what handle you used. However there is certainly more than one type of pump and yours sounds vaguely like the early type. Some pics would really help. Without them its a bit of a guessing game!
ttfn
Reply to
Roland Craven
Is there a proper name or term for that? It happens with depressing regularity... ;-)
Reply to
Jules Richardson
Thanks Roland.
Unfortunately I posted at the other forum with, I'm afraid, a less than useful result (I'm not registered at IF).
Can I post pics here?
Reply to
Jerry
Jerry,
It may have been for the same reason here, no pictures. Put your pictures up on Webshots or something similar and post the link here.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Apologies to any users of that forum, I didn't quite mean that as it reads!
I'll post a link when I have one and thanks again for the help.
Reply to
Jerry
And here is the link:
Its arranged as it came apart. The spiral packing piece sits against a shoulder in the bore. Below the shoulder is what looks almost like a thread (but isn't) which is meant to hold the spring I think. As I mentioned in the first post there was also some disintegrated material in the lower part of the bore possibly below the spring but it was impossible to tell what it was or where it was supposed to be (and in fact it might simply have been a lot of gunge).
I've also noticed that the actuating arm doesn't seem to have much movement when the engine is turning over -- but then I'm new to Lister As and maybe a little bit of travel goes a long way!
Reply to
Jerry
You appear to have the A214 pump introduced at spec 15. It was superceded by the A449 pump. This info is courtesy of DWE's excellent "Lister A and B story" which I strongly suggest you buy. Haven't I done that before ? If the lever moves the pump rod about 1/4" its fine.
BTW I'm da***d if I can find your IF query. Perhaps you could find it and post the URL or provide your username so I can. You don't need to be registered to search.
ttfn Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven
Which would make sense because this is a spec 16 A-type. Do you know how it's supposed to go together? What component was below the spring?
BTW my posting was at Stationary-Engine.net not the IF forum. Here's the link:
Jerry
The spring shown is just a ball-valve spring. IIRC there should also be a main plunger spring (I'm open to correction as its a few years since I stripped one). It should be of such diameter to fit within the bore and long enough to extend the rod against its arm at minimum, whilst not binding at maximum compression. Both the balls look scabby and if the seats are in the same state the I doubt either seals.
ttfn Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven
Many thanks for that. I'll look for an exploded drawing of the A214 to confirm. I think the balls will polish up, ditto the seats.
Reply to
Jerry
Well you could torture English into mis-re-mantled. (or miserymantled :-) but then you'd be German . . .
It should be possible to figure it out from first principles. Most reciprocating pumps aren't too tricky.
Reply to
IanM
As Roland points out there should be a plunger spring, some of my listers have similar pumps and I have recently bought a couple of spares, I cant do anything at the moment but if you can wait for the weekend I will strip one to ascertain order of parts. None of my pumps have ball springs as they all rely on pressure to seat when not allowing fuel to flow.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Martin I'm fairly sure they should have a spring on the inlet side but they've often rotted away.
cheers Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven
If that's the case mine run well without :-))
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Yes mine did until it was on rough ground and shook......
Reply to
Roland Craven
Martin P: that is a very kind offer, thank you.
I'll happily wait until after the weekend or any time at your convenience.
Thanks again Jerry
Reply to
Jerry
Jerry,
Go onto Internal Fire site and look under discussion site to see pictures of pump.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Martin, that's excellent and very helpful. I'll post my thanks here because I'm not registered to post at the IF forum. Thank you. Jerry
Reply to
Jerry
Jerry,
Your welcome.