caliper stretcher

Has anyone had any experiences using a caliper stretcher?(extends range of 6" calipers)

Reply to
Wwj2110

Yup!

I bought the:

It does work, but:

1) It makes a 'rubbery' tool even less precise 2) Doesn't measure inside or depth, just outside dimension 3) The caliper jaw interferes somewhat with the pin on the 'display end' when used with a digital caliper. 4) You have to re-label the graduations on the tool if you are using a digital caliper.

Having said that, I would still buy it again because it is still more precise, accurate and repeatable than a steel rule, in my hands.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Doesn't measure inside or depth, just outside dimension

the ad says it will measure id & od. Whats the problem with yours?

Reply to
Wwj2110

The stretcher probably works great for ID when used as shown with a caliper that has shallow 'OD-measuring' jaws. Just add the diameters of the pins to the reading.

I use it on a Mitutoyo Digimatic. The 'OD' jaws on this caliper are deeper. The back of the OD jaw interferes with the 'ID - measuring' side of the pin on the 'display' end. The jaw actually parallels the 'display' end pin for most of the pin's length, leaving only 0.044" at the very end clear.

The opposing 'ID - measuring' jaw of the caliper also forms a spacer that prevents the user from seating the measuring pins flat and firm against the workpiece, so measuring OD repeatably can be a challenge, too.

The most intuitive fix would be to use a different caliper with shallow 'OD' jaws. A distant second prize would be to modify the depth (shudder) of the 'OD' jaws of the Digimatic. I really like the Digimatic and had one spare, so that is what I used.

Did any of this make sense? :0)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Did any of this make sense? :0)

--Winston

gotcha thanx winston

Reply to
Wwj2110

On 14 Apr 2004 11:11:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Wwj2110) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

result matches the precision and level of the question.

**************************************************** I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry ........no I'm not.
Reply to
Old Nick