New PC with ISA slot

Time for another new 'puter. This one is for my CNC lathe. The control card is on an ISA slot which cuts out 99+% of all computers made these days. I don't need extreme blazing speed, just a good box that is reliable and doesn't need replacement right away.

I found this box on ebay:

This one still needs a HD FD CD-RW and memory. Can anyone recommend a good vendor/web site where you pick out your components and they ship you a box? Again, my only unusual requirement is one ISA slot.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have bought several component-selected computers and parts from

and have been very happy with them.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

For my PC based ISA projects I usually stick with ASUS mother boards, the support and manuals are availble from their site. They are high quality boards & very easy to configure. The ISA/PCI models can be picked up for peanuts on ebay, I have bought from this guy in the past

got memory and HD's etc. A.I.

Reply to
Alan Inness

Did you ask the seller if they would upgrade it if you bought it? If they will, they could send you what you want ready to go.

Richard W.

Richard W.

I buy my stuff on eBay, so my vote's in for that.

Just on the subject of newer computers with ISA slots, I researched forever to get the best I could. The Biostar M7MIA seems to be the most advanced ISA board that was made. DDR RAM, takes an Athlon up to an XP1800, and has onboard RAID.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

How about a name brand used one? The going price on an IBM or HP system PII, 450 mhz, hd, win something, CD, memory, etc is $80 to $150 Seems to me you are located west of Minneapolis, I can give you 4 places where you can inspect and buy on the spot in the TC area. Que Computers, Microcenter, Asset Recovery, and (name escapes me here!!) in St. Paul.

If you have to have new, try

University Ave in the Midway area.

Don't forget the Operating System.

If you can settle for slower than 450mhz, I probably have some down the basement, 233mmx range.

Karl Townsend wrote:

Reply to
Roy J

If you want a packaged system you can try these folks:

I've had a couple of customers use them with good results.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

The ISA slot is going out of favor so if you build your own you will need to look carefully at the MB to ensure you have that slot.

I just put another one together from parts. I have purchased parts and assembled several from

and would recommend them highly. The Asus P4P800 series does have an ISA slot. I went with a

2.8 Intel CPU, 512 Kinston memory, and the P4P800-VM board PLUS $9 for assembly and testing. My invoice was for ~$400. Now that is quite a bit more than the one you found on ebay but I have one hell of a lot more computer. When it arrived the MB had the CPU on board with the heat sink and the memory installed.

With a bit of hind sight I might have gotten a MB with more PCI slots but this one was built for a special purpose and should do what I want it to do.

If you don't need the faster processor then you can do better. If you go to the Mwave sight you can pick your MB, CPU, and memory for a system and buy separately whatever you can't pluck from one of your other computers.

I am currently taking a college level course in computer repair and the instructor claims about 1% of purchased parts are DOA. It was worth $9 to have Mwave filter the dead parts at their location rather than mine.

I had the rest of the necessary parts by cannibalizing some junkers and fishing around in my inventory of HDs, etc. It booted up with no problems on the first try.

Back to your problem... You didn't say why you need to upgrade if what you have is working???

Reply to
Don Wilkins

Sounds like Karl has an Ahha card. I'm running Artisan on an HP Vectra. It was flakey as hell until I disabled the onboard video and installed a generic SVGA card.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I was going to guess a Servos-To-Go card.

Or perhaps a Galil -- though they may also be made with PCI Interfaces as well.

I usually pick up used PCs at hamfests. The best for a machine controller was one which was in a rackmount chassis, with a locking transparent cover over the reset button, the floppy drive, and the CD-ROM drive, and a filter in the front grille which is changed with that locking door opened. It happened to have a Dual 167 MHz Pentium CPU board in it -- though the version of linux-based EMC in there only knows how to use one at a time. (These were the ones with the error in the built-in floating-point processor, so the OS reports this, and installs a patch to work around it.) I forget who made the CPU board, but I am probably going to retire it from that machine and swap in a newer 500 MHz one with a mix of PCI and ISA slots still -- and load an OS onto the other which can take advantage of the dual CPU feature -- possibly a newer version of linux.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols