Need centerless grinding done

I have an friend that needs some centerless grinding done. The specs are:

5/64" dowel pins of 1010 or similar steel ground to a tolerance of 0.0002". They're 1.65" long but he can cut them from a longer rod if necessary. The quantity is 20 pieces. He has access to the University metal shop for the cutting. He would prefer a company in Hawaii or the West Coast. The last time his professor had some made was about ten years ago at a cost of $75 for 3 feet. Anyone interested in the job or know a shop that can do it? Email me personally or on the list. My email address is correct. For those who are interested. My friend is a working on his PhD in Laser Physics and the pins are for the equipment they are building. A high energy laser and testing equipment. He may have other questions later as he's new to metalworking and I've only done blacksmithing and some casting of brass and pewter. My largest metal working tool is the smallest HF drill press. Thanks Karl Thanks Karl
Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

This place has given me good service.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

All Diameter Grinding

Jeff or Marvin. ____________________________

Work: 714-744-1200 Fax: 714-289-8192 Address: 725 N Main St. Orange, Ca. 92868

Be sure to tell them that Mark the OmniTurn guy refered him.

Good folks, good shop, good work. Id suggest slugging them first to save money though they can indeed do that. They can also supply the material..but its cheaper to have you guy do it, simply have it delivered.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks. Just forwarded the message to my friend. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Hi Karl,

Sounds like you might be able to use standard plug gages. You can buy them individually in any size you want. Length is pretty close to what you stated. The only problem might be that they are hard. Do you need soft pins for your job?

Good old Mcmaster Carr has the pins for something like $2.50 each. I'm sure there would be a local supplier near to were the pins are needed in Hawaii.

Good luck.

Tom Lipton

Reply to
Tom Lipton