Atkins Kwik Kut saw

Looking for some information on an Atkins High Speed Kwik Kut No. 14 power hacksaw, patented December 22, 1908 by E.C. Atkins & Co., Indianapolis, Ind. Apparently it was converted from lineshaft to motor drive, but the motor is missing and I was wondering what speed and horsepower would be needed. The clutch/drive pulley is about 16" diameter and it takes a blade 14 1/2" long and 1" wide. Also, are new blades available? Mike

Reply to
MikeM

Yes, blades are available from MSC, about $15, and made by Starrett. Sounds like a lot, but they last a long time on ours. I have one of these, or something similar at work, believe it or not, and I love that old thing. Set it up to cut and walk away till you hear the clack of the release mechanism. Our company has been in business since 1864 and that saw is still hanging in there from times past. At first when I saw it, I scoffed at it and made a mental note to get it out of the shop, but not now. I might even have a book on it in the files. I'll look for you. I'd guess that the blade strokes once every two seconds on the cutting stroke.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Ok thanks, that will help. It came from an old metal shop auction and has seen heavy use, though apparently not in recent times. There is about 1/4" of side to side play in the mechanisim that the blade frame hangs from, is this normal or does it show excessive wear? It looks like there are a lot of places on it that need oil or grease, any advice on this? I have used bandsaws before but this type is new territory to me. MIke

Reply to
MikeM

Hi Mike, We've got an Atkins that we belt to an engine for display purposes. It works nicely, but is really worn out. For real work, I use another hacksaw or a chop saw. If I could find an Atkins in good shape at a reasonable price, I'd bag it.

You can figure the feet/second that a saw blade is supposed to travel, but I don't run ours faster than about one cycle per second. Considering the wear, I really like to run it about half that speed.

For lubrication, I use way oil. There are a LOT of lubrication points on that baby. For coolant, I just use water soluble oil mixed on the weak side.

A picture (admittedly a bad one) of our setup is at

Rob

Reply to
Rob Skinner

That's the one!

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

3/4 horse ought to do it. We run ours on either a 1 1/2 horse or a 3 horse engine, slowed WAY down. You might run into difficulties yourself trying to get the speed down.

Rob

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Rob Skinner La Habra, California

Rob Skinner

I have a spare 3/4 hp DC motor that should work just to try it out. This seems to be a rare animal, I have found a lot of information on Atkins hand saws but so far nothing on their power saws. Mike

Reply to
MikeM

Hi Mike, It should be easier to control the speed than AC. I haven't seen many Atkins. Ours, one in a museum, and one belonging to a gent here locally.