Centerless grinding

We just got a centerless grinder. Not new, refurbished. I don't know anything about it, never even seen one before except on pictures. Do you have to always move the shaft or roll from one end of machine to the other after each pass or some newer machines have some way of reversing this. With big rolls it is a pain for the operator to use a crane every time. I'm not actually running this machine but few of us at the shop are curious. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote in news:8HCLk.531$ snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net:

I take it you're through feeding?

Then yeah, I guess. I've never seen it done it any other way. But I'm not exactly a grinding guru or anything.

Reply to
D Murphy

To rough you can plunge grind in steps , but after that you still generally need to make one or more through passes.

Reply to
over a barrel

So there is no machine out there that reverses the feed and grinds both ways. Thanks for your help guys. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Try San Francisco if you need one that goes both ways

Reply to
Garlicdude

None that I know of but then again I'm only loosely aquainted with the process, I've a friend with a grind shop has a pair of centerless in there I'll call and ask him if you like even though Ive never seen him do anything other than one-way through feed except for rough plunging.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

"Jerry" wrote in news:9BrMk.518$k9.218 @read1.cgocable.net:

I don't see how. The regulating wheel and in some cases the grinding wheel are tilted in relation to each other. This is what causes the part to through feed. To reverse the feed you would have to tip the regulating wheel in the opposite direction.

Obviously this isn't impossible, but it couldn't be done while the wheels are in contact with the work. The next issue would be size control. Tilting the regulating wheel in the opposite direction could easily influence the size. Plus when you feed through, the leading edge of the grinding wheel is roughing while the edge where the work exits is more loke the "spark out" part of the cutting action.

All that being said, it should be fairly simple to automate the grinder to take to passes. After the work exits, it could be kicked off to the side, sent back on a track, kicked back into the track in line with the wheels, then given a push into the wheels to get it going. The grinder would obviously have to be programmable in order to take passes at two different sizes.

I'm sure some c'less grinding company like Koyo could figure something out for you. Or an aftermarket automation house.

Reply to
D Murphy

In Centerless grinding there is a way to reverse the feed of the part that you are grinding when the part has reached the end of the wheels. This is usually only done on large bars, and best used on #3 EA Cincinnati centerless grinders. I have customized These machines to do this forward and reverse grinding on bars up to 17 7/8" OD by

175' long on solid bar. With the larger parts its best to do this style of grind with power rollers to help assist the regulating wheel. If you have any other questions on centerless grinding feel free to message me any time.
Reply to
GDM