Computer for MAXNC 15 (Open Loop) mill

I bought a MAXNC 15 (Open Loop) machine on ebay a couple of weeks ago. When it arrived, the computer that came with it wouldn't start.The
seller was quite helpful but didn't have a good idea for what to do about the computer.
I tried to get the computer repaired but it was so old, parts were't available for it. I tried to buy as new machine but the MAXNC requires the computer be running the DOS operating system.
I couldn't buy DOS from either the PC store or Microsoft. I called the MAXNC people but all they wanted to do was sell me another mill (which includes a computer).
What do I do now to get the MAXNC going?
Gary Rice
Gary,
A few choices:
1. Buy an old Win95/98 machine on eBay and boot in DOS mode.
2. Make and existing NT/XP/2000 machine dual boot with with FreeDOS (www.freedos.org) or OpenDOS (http://www.deltasoft.com/download.html ).
3. Use MACH2/3 (www.artofcnc.ca) on an XP machine and scrap the MAXNC software altogether.
Regards, Pierre
snipped-for-privacy@panamsat.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Option #3 being the best bet.
Pete C.
On 17 Jul 2006 08:13:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@panamsat.com wrote:

============================Have you tried booting the "Windows" computer in the DOS mode? Generally hitting the F<unction>8 at the boot up screen will let you select the DOS mode. This is a better option in that it will let you use windows based cnc programs such as editors on the same machine.
You can also try starting the "DOS" box [look for a program called cmd.exe in the system32 sub-directory] while in windows. Not all programs will run in the DOS box because of "illegal system calls" which the newer versions of Windows does not allow, but were frequently used by the older DOS programs to enhance performance.
If this doesn't, work find someone that has a copy of the DOS install disks and install it on your "new" computer. (Will most likely write over the Windows o/s currently installed.)
Let us know how you make out.
Unka George (George McDuffee)
There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations; even a democrat like myself must admit this. But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy, for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch," but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

I helped a guy set up his new maxnc 15 last week. Supposidly, you can get it to work with xp. We tried, and couldn't, so we called them. They basically said too bad. So, we went to the local used computer store, and bought a cheap machine running dos 6. From there, we didn't have too many problems.
Dave,
Just curious but how did you load the MAXNC program into XP?
There is a compatibility wizard in XP that allows you to load and run older windows programs under their older settings. I have used it and it has worked every time.
Compatibility Wizard is located in the Accessories Folder in the Start Menu.
To locate the Compatibility Wizard, from your desktop
Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Program Compatibility Wizard
Tom
Dave Lyon wrote:

Tom..is he simply needing a copy of Dos? Which version? Im sure Ive got 6.11 kicking around somewhere.
Also Caldera Open Dos is available free, last time I looked. Omniturn uses it in their cnc lathes as they dont have to pay rights to M$.
http://esca.atomki.hu/paradise/dos/opendos-en.html ftp://esca.atomki.hu/pub/pc/dos/opendos / http://www.caldera.com /
Its been 100% with everything Ive ever run it on. In fact..Ive got an old 386 laptop running on it. Runs all the MS stuff just hunky.
Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.
In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.
Theodore Dalrymple,
Gunner,
I don't know what the OP needs, he got good advise from Pierre, you and others that gives him plenty of viable options.
Tom
Gunner wrote:

brewertr wrote:

I've decided to find a used machine. I have a copy of Win 95 that came with a long-departed computer and just ordered MS-DOS 6.21 from an ebay auction.
While I like the idea of Mach-3, it is too expensive given the amount of money I've spent on the stuff I already have.
Gary (Original Poster)
Gary,
Good luck, let us know how it turns out for you,
Tom

snipped-for-privacy@panamsat.com wrote:

I'd suggest trying Mach3 first. It's a free download to try. The only restriction in the demo is it's limited to about 1,000 lines of code. Try it out and see why it's so popular.
Pete C.
You may experience some timing problems when running MAXNC software on anything other than some version of DOS.
MACH2/3 is the only program I know of which effectively gets around the the timing problems with XP.
Regards, Pierre
brewertr wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Well, there is Flashcut........
Grummy

Tom,
I wasn't aware of that wizard. Maxnc actually provided a program that was supposed to be xp compatible. We tried double clicking it, then unloaded it and accessed it through the run command. Each time, the program would start, but locked up before we could jog the machine. At first we thought we had copied the files wrong. Maxnc in their wisdom supplies the software on a 3 1/2" floppy, so we had to transfer that to a usb drive. :(
Dave,
After reading Pierre's response to your post I am not confident the compatibility wizard would work for you in this particular instance.
The XP Compatibility Wizard is something nice to know and very useful when needed.
Tom

Use EMC (FREE) /w Linux, can run on low end PC, you can buy by the pound now days! (o: People donate old computers. You'll have to config EMC to the MaxNC15 servos. http://www.linuxcnc.org / JS