Added a start/stop button to compressor

Finally, I have my compressor wired exactly as I wanted.
The last piece that I did yesterday was adding a start/stop button to
it. Now, if power is removed from the compressor, it would not restart until a START button is pressed. If I press a STOP button, it would not run. The start/stop button has a LED light and is shown here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0289769708
So, now, the compressor does all I want, is now safer because I have to press START to allow it to run, has a light to show that it is energized and could start any moment.
The START/STOP button, of course, does not override the pressure switch, but it merely enables or disables compressor from running, but the pressure switch would decide whether it would run and pump.
In addition, from last week's rewiring, it can be run in a continuous vs. on demand vs. always unloaded mode. So it can, if need be, used as an additional idler in a manner that is relatively safe.
✖
On Apr 8, 6:34 am, Ignoramus14359 <ignoramus14...@NOSPAM. 14359.invalid> wrote:

Do you have all this control secured so your little son cannot operate the controls when he shows the neighbor girl how smart he is?
Paul
Add pictures here
✖

He is shy when it comes to girls.
The short answer is no, he could operate it, if he knew how, but he is a careful person and knows to stay away from the compressor specifically.
The longer answer is that I have an Allen-Bradley 800T key operated switch. I am planning to install it on the phase converter. The way it will work is that it will only work when the key is inserted and turned, and the key cannot be removed when it turns the converter ON. I will have on the same keychain with my car keys, so that I will not accidentally leave home with it. But I have not yet done it.
✖

Training is key. If he takes after his old man, he will soon be able to defeat any reasonable lock or interlock. So, he has to know better.
You still need the interlock for legal reasons, though.
I have a sister that's 16 years younger than I, and I was worried that she or one of here friends would have a messy encounter with my Father's tablesaw. My solution was to mount on the basement ceiling a switch and controlled twistlock outlet. The saw had the mating twistlock plug, used nowhere else in the house. So short people simply couldn't reach to turn the saw on without a lot of work, and by the time little sister and her friends became able to defeat this, she knew better, and forbade her friends to even try.
Joe Gwinn
Add pictures here
✖

I agree.

I have a three year old that has a healthy or even unhealthy interest in my powermatic drill press. As you can easily see, this is very dangerous. So I also use the same trick as you did, which is to have a outlet in the ceiling and the drill press power cord also goes to the ceiling.
✖

He's too young now, but it's hard to really hurt yourself with one of those very small tabletop drill presses.

Will the power cord plug in anywhere else but the ceiling outlet?
Joe Gwinn
Add pictures here
✖

This is a floor drill press and can easily wrap a three year old around the spindle.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Powermatic-1150-Drill-Press/

It is tied to the ceiling. It is really not accessible to a three year old.
✖

Yes. I was suggesting that the son get a present someday, to deflect his attention. But not till he's a bit older.

Good if it's yank-proof. And rope-climb proof.
Joe Gwinn
Add pictures here
✖
    [ ... ]

    Is the Powermatic a bench top? I've got a friend with a floor standing one by Powermatic.

    Mine plugs into an outlet in the ceiling too -- for convenience of not having cords to trip over, not for keeping it out of the reach of little ones. I use one of those twist-lock connectors (Picked up both two males and a duplex female at a hamfest, and this way I don't have to worry about it coming out by accident.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
✖

Nice looking switch, Iggy, BUT, the shipping cost is out of this world.
Ivan Vegvary
Add pictures here
✖

It was kind of pricey, yes, but I liked the built in light.
They did send it via UPS, however, and likely did not make much money on shipping. Maybe a buck or two.
✖