OT- Taskbar

I have Win XP - SP2. Somewhere along the line I must have clicked the wrong place, now my taskbar has 2 tiers. I have tried everything I could think of but nothing helps, I cant get it back to 1. My taskbar is twice as high as it should be. When I click on the corner (or anywhere on the top) a double headed arrrow appears but it doesn't help. I can either drop it out of sight or use it in its present height.

I would like to have the extra space back.

I contacted 2 computer help groups and they both thought that since I could see the double headed arrow I should be able to drag it down. Well, it doesn't work for me.

I'm sure you guys will be able to help me Ideas?

Engineman

Reply to
engineman

Do you have the taskbar locked? That's the only thing I can think of. Right-click on the taskbar and you should get a pop-up menu, with "Lock the Taskbar" as the next-to-last entry. If it's checked, click on it and the checkmark should disappear. After that, you ought to be able to shrink the taskbar.

Tove

Reply to
Tove Momerathsson

That was the first thing I tried. As someone in another group pointed out, the double headed arrow would not appear if the taskbar was locked. Thanks anyway. Engineman

Reply to
engineman

I've had that happen a couple times. First time (on a standard desktop), the solution was to re-size the quick-launch area. Second time (on an old laptop with video issues), the only way I could recover was to use system restore.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Can you do a shift printscreen, paste the screen shot into a immage program and post a like to it? Seeing it would help.

Wes

Wes

Copied from another forum:

What happens is that the end "margin" of the QuickLaunch toolbar (actually a separate toolbar on the Taskbar) has gotten so far over to the right that it is now down below. Unlock the Taskbar and then "grab" the dotted line on the bottom bar and drag it up to immediately to the right of the QuickLaunch icons. Now you've successfully made the QuickLaunch toolbar shorter and can "grab" the top bar of the Taskbar and "push" it down to the regular one-tier height. Then you can right-click on an empty area of the Taskbar and lock it again.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Only a guess (as a non-Windows user) -- but have you added things to the taskbar It may have gone double-high because it needed the extra room. Can you find something to delete from it?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I tried all the suggestions presented with no luck. System restore only went back a week and I have been having this problem longer than that. Here is a screenshot:

Engineman

Reply to
engineman

Right click on the toolbar where there isn't a button, look for the toolbar option, turn some of the items off and try resizing again.

Wes

Wes

Grab the lower portion of the vertical bar to the right of the start button and drag it to the right end of the line of icons, then you will be able to pull the top of the task bar down.

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I tried all the suggestions presented with no luck. System restore only went back a week and I have been having this problem longer than that. Here is a screenshot:

Engineman

Right click on a blank part of the taskbar. Select properties, then uncheck "lock the taskbar". Now you should be able to resize it.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

On a monitor larger than 15" the two-row taskbar is useful. I have it set that way intentionally on this 19" and a second "My Computer" two- row taskbar on the top that shows all drives including USBs and the control panel.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins