Russian made Wall-E

Very fun pictures.

Ignoramus14359

That's some good metalworking. I dunno about copyright/design property issues, but you could sell about a shitload-and--half of those.

Odd, with all of the good equipment pictured, that the dude had to chain drill the plate and then cut out the disks with a saber saw, but what the hell.

I didn't see all the pichers, but I'd have to put at least one video camera in Wall-e's binocular-looking eyes, but two cams would be better, maybe one wide angle and one telephoto.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I am in awe! It's hard to imagine that being down in 18 days.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Some very cool stuff...

Just be warned that I followed some of the other photo sessions around and kept exploring... Without leaving the site, I came across one that AVG identified as havign a Trojan Horse virus... Probably about 15 mintues into my click-through escapades.

All the photos on that site are cool, and i especially enjoyed some of the more random stuff... But be warned that the site *may* house some troublesome code.

The Wall-E page seemed to be harmless enough of course.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Horrorshow!

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 18:50:50 -0400, the infamous "Wild_Bill" scrawled the following:

I guess that Russia doesn't have a copyright agreement with the USA.

I didn't understand the drilling, either. I'm guessing that the mill he had wasn't large enough to simply mill the pieces out.

Why not drill one hole and then use the sabre saw to finish cutout, then finalize on the lathe? It would have saved him at least a full day of work, IMHO.

Great idea. I think that was his stereo console. He could have secretly taped parties.

-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't know what goes on in the toy world, but I would assume that a Chinese source has already been licensed to spew out shiploads of flimsy, poisonous replicas of the Wall-e toy, and that generlly means that numerous unlicensed sources will probably copy it.

I had some experience with the Heathkit training robot (about 2' tall), but a Wall-e version, made today would have many other features including vision, if for no other reason than to keep from running into objects, but a wireless video signal is more likely. A Wall-e version would be a very popular robot, IMO, but then I don't know what others types are availble presently.

Don't pass up renting the movie just because Ig stated it is a kid's movie.. it's fascinating to see the creativity that's involved in this movie.

Legally, I don't think a problem exists with someone making a replica for themselves, just so they're not producing them to sell.

From a metalworking POV, it's definitely an interesting project, and the presentation photos are a good representation of the amount of machining involved to make something of that scale.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Who copied what?

Jim Wilkins

This is exactly the case, it is some sort of blow molded junk.

The good toys are going into oblivion. I have some experience with that due to having 2 kids.

The movie is almost as good as Idiocracy.

Ignoramus21372

Drilling is a very fast method of metal removal.

Wes

Wes

Generally it's faster to saw off large pieces of metal vs drilling a chain of holes or milling a cut, so I imagine the Russian guy (as

refers to the maker) doesn't have a metal-cutting bandsaw, and that the Makita jigsaw shown in the fourth picture isn't strong enough to cut out the circles without chain drilling (or the blade isn't good enough). Or maybe the maker has an assistant who only knows how to run the drill press.

Given a jiwsaw, drillpress, and mill, how would you yourself have cut out the circles?

Reply to
James Waldby

I had to open the hole in a die cut press bed so the slugs could fall through. All the tools in the shop looked a bit puny that day. Well except for the portamag (magnetic drill press). Sometimes the drill is the most powerful tool you can put to the job.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I would have to chain-drill a plate that large to get the blank within the throat of my bandsaw. The saber saw requires both precision and arm strength for a long time, drilling only takes force and I can use my weight to push down if the sheet is too big for a drill press.

I modified a small bench drill press to allow the head to slide down the column. It makes a fair substitute for a mag base drill, by C- clamping the base to a beam, or to a large plate with 2X4s.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins