Interesting metalworking

--Just put up some photos of cannons, etc, from last weekend's cannon shoot. Tales to tell, but not here, heh.

--For those interested in curious failure modes here's a video of the only 'incident' worth noting:
As far as I can figure he'd made a freelance mortar carriage. It's thinnest section was made of 2" thick oak, but I think he had the grain running the wrong way.

Reply to
steamer

Bigger than my first...and last cannon! Mine was only .75" bore x 2' long. It filled my need for homemade cannons 35 years ago.

Reply to
Buerste

Growing up in a machine shop environment, I turned out a bunch of 5/16" bore cannon out of 1.5" round stock in my 12teen years. Breach loading via a screw in bolt. 5/16 as they would fire ball bearings that we had, and we used smokeless powder by taking apart dad's 30.06 cartridges

Reply to
Calif Bill

Brave lad! Did dad catch on?

Reply to
Buerste

He was wilder than my brother and I.

Reply to
Calif Bill

"Buerste" wrote

When I was a kid, we'd make spoke guns. Take a bicycle spoke, turn around the nipple, pack it with the round charges from "caps" and then hold a match under it until it fired. It would make a report about as loud as a .22. One day, I had one in my pocket in class. I took it out, and was twisting it back and forth. It went off, scaring the shit out of everyone. The teacher was the most strict stuffy teacher I think I ever had. She came over and held out her hand, and I put it in there. She said to stay after class. My hand felt like a firecracker had gone off in it. I explained what it was, and she said it was a dumb thing to do and never let it happen again. Hell today, that would have gotten the police and suspension. She was okay after all in my book. The principal was a real mean bastard, and I was afraid I had to deal with him.

Reply to
Pittman Pirate