Electrical schematics on Linux?

Ignoramus25062 wrote:

OH!! Personally I like to keep things on paper that way I don't loose it. :-) ...lew...
On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:10:08 -0600, the infamous Lew Hartswick

Congrats, Lew and Ig. You're the first among us who has never lost a piece of paper or a bit of data from a computer, respectively.
We salute you. (OK, guys, both middle fingers NOW! ;)
-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

I never lost any data on my computer.
I take backups very seriously.
I consider backups to be the single most important task of any computer.
in
"I don't gots no Schema on my 'IX box"... or some such.
Iggy, there are some fine freeware schematic capture packages for WinBlows. I like and use ExpressPCB for prototyping, and love the package for its net capture and interaction with the routing software.
What's keeping you from firing up an instance of WINE, and running something like that?
LLoyd
On 2009-04-02, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

I think that WINE has been overhyped, as a matter of reality most things do not work under WINE, at least as far as I am concerned.
I found gEDA, which works fine as far as I could tell, and did a schematic with gEDA. It was not too difficult. geda can also export to jpeg. I have mastered, perhaps, 0.5% of its functionality.
Here's the schematic:
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quincy-340-Compressor/04-Continuous-Run-vs-On-Demand/Schematic.jpg
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

The developer of switcher cad claims that it works fine under Wine, for those who are too challenged to understand more than on OS.
http://www.linear.com/software /
--
And another motherboard bites the dust!

Ignoramus12193 wrote:

I probably haven't lost any either but can't find the darn stuff I put in there. I know that just happened to a series of pictures I downloaded the other day. They aren't where I though I put them. :-( ...lew...
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:17:58 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus12193

Agreed, but did you from day one? If so, you'd be the first person I've ever met to have done so.
-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

I did it from day one, yes. Or maybe from the first or second year. But I was fortunate in that I started backing things up before I had any data loss.
I may have lost some latest edits on some file that I was editing, but nothing more than that.
:> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:17:58 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus12193
:> :>> :>>I never lost any data on my computer. :>> :>>I take backups very seriously. :>> :>>I consider backups to be the single most important task of any :>>computer. :> :> Agreed, but did you from day one? If so, you'd be the first person :> I've ever met to have done so. :> : :I did it from day one, yes. Or maybe from the first or second :year. But I was fortunate in that I started backing things up before I :had any data loss.
Absolutely from day one here. I have many not-so-fond memories of Norton Backup and the rather large sets of floppy disks needed to back up my first '386.

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:36:20 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus25062

No? Please tell us about your backup scheme! <g>
-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

I back up to a USB drive.
I also back up to work using rdiff-backup.
I also back up to another computer in the house.
All of this is done nightly and is verified.
I also like to change hard drives every three years or so.
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:17:12 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus12193

Ditto here, finally.

Cool.
Smart man!
-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:29:45 -0500, Ignoramus8285

Nobody suggested it so far :/ Open Synaptic Type "CAD" in the search box
Results will vary depending on (lack of) repositories enabled.
The programs features and description for "electric" jumped out at me :)
I don't know about this program. The point I am trying to make is use Ubuntu's built in tools and see what you get :)
(My last brush with CAD was CADAM on a 5080 terminal connected to an IBM 3083)
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:29:45 -0500, Ignoramus8285 wrote:

alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.os.linux.misc,r
Xcurcuit http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit /
Oregano http://oregano.gforge.lug.fi.uba.ar /
KTechlab http://ktechlab.org / Seems there are issues with "ubuntu" I have it because they all came with Mandriva Powerpack. In fact all these programs did.
gEDA http://www.gpleda.org /
Klogic http://www.a-rostin.de /
qucs http://qucs.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html This is in development but looks simple to use.
The price is right to try.
If you remove the crosses and garlic from your computers there is a free evaluation version of PADS available from Mentor Graphics: http://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design /
PADS is a very powerful commercial schematic capture and board layout suite, easily capable of circuits as complex as a PC motherboard or digital satellite radio network controller (what I used it for). The eval version will not print or plot a design with more than 30 electrical symbols but that isn't a serious limitation unless you want to make Gerber plots to fab a board. The command tree structure is unintuitive and it's somewhat difficult to learn.
The currently available version runs fine under Win2000 and XP. Serious professional design software like this is why I don't run unix any more. I spent ten years at a PC-unfriendly company, struggling with the Mac and Solaris alternatives.
Jim Wilkins
Ignoramus8285 wrote:

Try "Cadsoft's" Eagle its a pcb program but the schematic drawing is brilliant ! Its even better if you want to make a PCB from your circuit !
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

On the contrary, it's a schematic drawing program, but the PCB layout feature is brilliant. ;)

It especially convenient if your PCB vendor accepts Eagle project files directly (e.g. Olimex). That way you don't have to generate gerbers (which is always harder than it should be).
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! But was he mature
at enough last night at the
Grant Edwards wrote:

Except it is rather expensive unsless you only want to make a small PCB.
Cheers
Ian

Expensive compared to geda that's true. Compared to other "pro" grade commercial products, Eagles is still pretty cheap (at least the last time I compared). Besides which, few of the other vendors support either Linux or OSX.
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I didn't order any
at WOO-WOO ... Maybe a YUBBA