oxy-propane eye protection?

I just got a small oxy-propane torch, I have oxygen and am just off to get some propane, and it occurred to me - do I need dark glasses?

I have safety specs against impact and so on, but not against UV.

Thanks,

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Yep same shade shield you use for Oxy Acet. Usually shade 5.

Reply to
Steve W.

I would think that a prudent person would use the goggles for oxy-acetylene, which are pretty dark, darker than sunglasses, but not ridiculously so.

Richard

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

What are you going to use the torch for? Jewelers use oxy-fuel (generally propane or natural gas) torches and I never met one who used dark glasses except for melting and for platinum work. For brazing, silver and gold soldering, etc. on small items, most feel it's not needed. I don't use shaded lenses except for platinum -- when I'm melting, I just don't stare at the crucible. For platinum, it's essential, though, as the stuff gets white-hot. For larger brazing work, some use shades, some don't. I don't, though I only braze larger stuff infrequently. The oxy-propane flame is nowhere near as bright and radiant as oxy-acetylene, so it mostly depends on how hot the work is getting, and how large the radiant area is. (and how close you are to it, of course).

Reply to
Bob

UV is not a problem with oxyfuel welding. Shade 5 goggles recommended for the visible light.

Reply to
Footy

Yes, it's a jeweller's torch, and will mostly be used for brazing small parts, mostly an inch or two across, in copper, inconel and stainless. I have some small propane torches I use for silver soldering, but they were struggling a bit and I wanted something hotter for brazing.

I got it working on butane (don't laugh, I filled two party balloons, one with butane lighter fuel and one with oxygen, to try it out) - works great. I am seriously pleased. Working with a flame that's comfortably hot enough is so much easier! It's lot quieter than the propane torches too, a calm gentle hiss rather than a whiny roar.

Might try MAPP gas for a bit of welding too. Maybe some ordinary shades for that? I have a nice dark wraparound plastic prescription pair somewhere, but it hasn't been that sunny recently in the UK and they will take a bit of finding ...

One other question you may be able to help with - could I use it for cutting? It's a Minox torch and says "2" on the copper part of the nozzle. Would a cutting nozzle be available? Obviously I'd need lenses for that.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Oh here we go slithering, here we go slithering and squelching on Oh here we go slithering, here we go slithering and squelching on

May the long time sun shine upon you All love surround you And the pure light within you Guide you all the way on. by Mike Heron

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Although shade 5 lenses are recommended, I found those bulky, dark, plastic sunglasses that cover your ordinary glasses work well for me. They are considerably cheaper than the shade 5 goggles from the welding supply people. YMMV.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote