Air Pressure Coolant System

I'm about ready to get started on my air pressure flood coolant system. The idea has been bouncing around in the back of my head for quite a while, and the one thing I haven't quite got figured out is the method for checking the level in recovery tank and the pressure tank. I was thinking I'ld weld a couple thicker plates on the side at the top and bottom, pipe tap them, and put in some right angle hose barbs with a bit of clear tube. I have used a tight fitting brass hose barb and a stainless hose clamp to repair an airline in the past. It worked fine. In this case though the tanks will most likely be fill with a petro chemical of some kind.

I'm trying to determine which tube I can use that will take the pressure (probably pretty low based on some experimentation), be able to withstand the coolant in the tanks, and be nice and clear for visible check of level.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Tygon, or more generically, polyurethane fuel hose - seen on motorcycles, lawnmowers, chainsaws... often but not always tinted, but see though (even if tinted) and compatible with petroleum.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Will it handle the pressure on a continuous basis? I expect the system will get left at about 20-30 PSI all the time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:hj2atd$ii2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Polyurethane tubes can be had in diameter up to 1" i.d. that will withstand

250psi continuously.

The little 1/8" bore stuff I use for pneumatic interconnects is rated at

250, but I have seen it take 600psi for hours and hold.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The type with white diagonal reinforcement threads can handle some pressure, you'd have to look up how much.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Bob, with pumps so cheap, why do you want a air pressure based system?

Ignoramus5493

Can't use a water based coolant. Can not. Will destroy mill. Water based is not an option.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Just out of curiosoty..why a pressureized coolant system, when one can simply pick up a cheap pump for less than $10 and not have to deal with breathing coolant in the air?

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

  1. Water based coolant is not an option. None of the pump systems are rated for potentially (if a bit of a long shot) for potentially flammable liquids.
  2. A pressure system keeps that spark generating motor at the whole other end of the shop.
  3. I plan to use some relatively large tanks for long runs.
  4. Why would a pressurized system put any more coolant in the air than a pump. No reason at all. It will come out of the nozzle as a solid liquid stream just like the water comes out of the pressure tank on a well.

Yes, I know modern well tanks have a bladder in them, but I worked on a water distribution system with my dad when I was a kid that didn't too. Just bleed and air. Besides it will be fun to build.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

  1. I said air pressure, not venturi.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

'yes and? Pumps will pump other stuff than water.......

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Coolant pumps'll pump cutting oil, just not as fast. You won't have any problems at all with a typical coolant pump. If it's not a totally enclosed CNC machine, you don't need a vast flow.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I am not seeing one rated for oil or other petro chemicals for less than a couple hundred bucks for just the pump. Tank, filters, etc are extra. Not sure what cheap pumps people are talking about. Any ole water pump will work for a water soluble coolant. Probably could use a cheap swamp cooler pump for those coolants. Used to be about $9 whole dollars retail for the economy ones when I was in the hardware business. A good one was less than

20.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Here, directly from Taig Tools.

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 3:48 PM To: snipped-for-privacy@deleted.com

Subject: Re: Inquiry - Coolant on Taig Mill

Hi, Do Not use water based coolant. This can cause rust on the spindle.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Forgot that it was a Taig...

Get some aluminium or steel block, some drill rod and a DC motor.

Make a pump as a project. Use a casserole dish as the sump.

Use a windscreen washer pump as a prototype, it'll be in the right ballpark.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Long drive rod, like a high volume farm well pump to get the motor away from the liquid?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Not that long. If necessary, mount a thin disk on the shaft. It'll act as an oil flinger and stop any oil migrating up the shaft to the motor.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Oil is indeed a "potentially flammable liquid"...though Ive tried in many occasions to set my lathe on fire while generating sparks and a shitload of red chips into pools of it. All have failed to ignite it btw.

Fun, hopefully is the sole reason, because frankly..I cant see any other reason to do so. Im curious though..how will you be refilling your tank, both pressure and contents?

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

A basic swamp cooler pump will run cutting oil (not tapping oil) just fine.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Really. What SUS oil will a swamp cooler pump manage? LOL.

I'm actually getting really frustrated with this whole thing.

Reply to
Bob La Londe