Pie Jaw chucks

I stumbled across this website and the pics of the "pie jaw chucks". I did a little googling around and generally understand their benefits.

Do you machine the gripping bore to suit the work?

Why do the jaws in the pic have the radial profile rather than solid - just to save material & weight?

cheers.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

I think you are looking at soft jaws. Soft jaws are often used on cnc lathes to hold parts. The jaws are clamped on a ring to keep them from fully closing and the profile of the part is cut into them.

Wes

Wes

Which website? Did you find a web site which mirrors this usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking? Normally, there are (and should be) no images here.

It depends. There are "soft" pie jaws which can be machined to fit a specific workpiece. But there are also hard jaws -- multiple steps which are a precise fit for standard diameters and a pretty good fit for in between sizes.

Again -- which pic? And what do you mean by "radial profile"? pie shape of the jaws, or the radiused gripping surface?

The pie shape is so when fitted to a six-jaw chuck, the chuck can be closed to the maximum amount, allowing the sides of the jaws to just barely touch.

The radial profile is to fit standard diameters -- and grip fairly well diameters just a little smaller.

Are what you saw for six-jawed chucks? The combination of the six jaws and the curved gripping surface allows gripping rings with minimal distortion compared to the same thin walled object gripped by a three-jaw chuck.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Cheers Wes, I neglected to post the link to the website (my apologies!). Yeah they look like they might be soft jaws, but ones that provide more support around the part.

Reply to
Royston Vasey