Need paper

Several years ago, Walthers offered building papers... these were sheets of a heavy paper with bricks, stone, shingles and things like that printed on them. The paper was pretty heavy, but still flexible. It was gray in color and reminded me of the kind of material that cereal boxes are made out of, only much thinner.

Well, now with the advent of personal computers, I'd like to print my own "building papers" from time to time. Anyone out there have any ideas where I might be able to find similar paper? I work for a company that has a rather large print shop, but they couldn't get anything. I doubt if any of the office supply places would have anything like it either. It certainly seems like a specialty item.

Ideas anyone?

dlm

--------------------------- Dan Merkel

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Try a paper supplier....not sure what part of the country you're from, but out here in California, there's Kelly Paper, for example. They have all sorts of specialty papers in all colors.

Might even want to try a local copy center, such as Kinko's, they do a lot of specialty work on colored papers too.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

You might look at an arts and crafts store like Michaels for Strathmore Bristol paper. It's white, but it's heavy, yet will run through an HP printer. George

Reply to
George

Maybe an HP LJ-III with the back gate open, but problematic in an LJ4 and worse since, except perhaps in their high end business line. Paper paths in most laser printers are absurd.

Some of the ink jets have relatively straight-through paths, but not all. Evidently it's not stylish - the toaster mentality at work.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Reply to
George

"100lb. (260g/m²)".

Hint: it's not 5 pounds per sheet. *grin* Regular bond paper is '20lb', so that paper is 5 times as heavy per case.

What pattern do you use to print? Make your own or got something off the web? ...Bill

Reply to
Corelane

=>Several years ago, Walthers offered building papers... these were sheets of =>a heavy paper with bricks, stone, shingles and things like that printed on =>them. The paper was pretty heavy, but still flexible. It was gray in color =>and reminded me of the kind of material that cereal boxes are made out of, =>only much thinner. =>

=>Well, now with the advent of personal computers, I'd like to print my own =>"building papers" from time to time. Anyone out there have any ideas where =>I might be able to find similar paper? I work for a company that has a =>rather large print shop, but they couldn't get anything. I doubt if any of =>the office supply places would have anything like it either. It certainly =>seems like a specialty item. =>

=>Ideas anyone? =>

=>dlm =>--------------------------- =>Dan Merkel

Try "construction paper", maybe? What you get in the dollar store (useta be the dime store) is too light weight, but an art supplies store should have heavier weights. One advantage is that the stuff comes in all kinds of earth colours (as well as the more garish ones). Or try medium weight water colour papers - theyr'e not grey, but you could colour them before you print them. OTOH, watercolour paper is expensive. Then there are papers for charcoal and pastel drawing in various greys, reds, browns, etc - again, pricey, but available in several weights.

HTH

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

One of the photo programs I have has a brick fill image in it. It works pretty good. I fill a small area, then modify a few of the bricks so as to break up the pattern. Then I use that pattern to fill a larger area. If necessary, I repeat the process until I get a pattern that doesn't repeat itself every four or five bricks.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

I think "construction paper" would be too soft and pourous to print on. The ink would just soak in and blur (at least the "construction paper" I remember from making valentines for Mom in grade school).

My printer (an HP 5550) takes up to 90 weight card (basically the weight of a 3x5 file card) with no trouble, and prints very well.

Don

Reply to
Trainman

"cover stock" is a common name for the 60 to 80 lb paper you seem to be talking about.

Reply to
Steve Caple