Old MODEL RAILROADER magazines

Need a little help... is there much value in old MODEL RAILROADER magazines? A lady I work with asked me about them. Her deceased husbad had a bunch of
them that dated back into the late 1950s & 1960s. According to her, she didn't have any complete years though.
I told her that I didn't think that they had much value but I wanted to check here to see if that is a general consensus. I've been getting MR since 1970 but don't keep them. I would like to see some of the older ones, but not for collecting purposes. I told her that I didn't think they would be worth much more than about a quarter each. I based this strictly on old National Geographic magazines which our local library sells for less than that.
Anyone have any expereince with old MR magazines?
Thanks.
dlm ------------------------------------------- Dan L. Merkel
Dan Merkel spake thus:

Just for a data point, a couple weeks ago I was pawing through boxes of old MRs (along with RMC and other magazines) in a train store here. They were just trying to get rid of them. I think they were selling for about a buck apiece. So no, they're not worth much.
They might be worth a little more if they're complete sets. This same store also had binders of magazines they were selling, I think in 2-year batches. Still not worth all that much.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

Nobody asked you, Curt, er, I mean Steve. Fuckhead.
D "We're all Steve here" N
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
Wrong Steve or whoever fake sockpuppet you are today. Actually he DID ask what do to everyone and I answered. Take your crap offline if you want a private party.
Look it up in Wikopedia Genius!

     snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes:

Curt You really need professionl help.
Paul

--
The lotto must be rigged, I should have won by now.
Modular furniture is cruel and unusual.
On Feb 16, 5:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@pimin.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) wrote:

Don't all of us ?

Sort of like your mothers axe wound. Smells your entire single wide up!

Since I am Brad you are a fake poster.
_______
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:
Peek-a-boo, Curt, we see you.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

As usual, you're talking utter shit. I have MR and Trains going back to the late 1940s - they *aren't* mouldy.
Steve again with the potty talk. Your mother is rolling over in her grave and praying you will stopl
On Feb 17, 6:04?pm, STEVE CAPLE wrote:

Value? Completely subjective. At the swap meets I attend, MR's of this period usually go for fifty cents or so. That said, I find that I frequently enjoy reading them more than I do current issues. For example, many more articles on construction, kitbashing, etc. Obviously not too useful for DCC types unless they're interested in the history of the hobby. Thank you.
Jerry
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Same here.

Yep - I keep mine because I enjoy model building more than model buying :-). I finally quit subscribing to MR about 5 years ago because there were almost no scratchbuilding articles in it. And the "almost" in the prior sentence was just in case my memory was faulty :-).

Damn! There went another keyboard :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

*snip*

One hobby shop owner I talked to told me that most of his customers weren't doing much scratch building or kit building. They want something to purchase and place on the railroad. I bought some old (say '60's or '70's vintage) wood and paper kits from him, but haven't quite gotten to assembling them yet.
There's just something about doing your own that gives it a personal touch.
Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Value? Completely subjective. At the swap meets I attend, MR's of > this period usually go for fifty cents or so. That said, I find that > I frequently enjoy reading them more than I do current issues. For > example, many more articles on construction, kitbashing, etc. > Obviously not too useful for DCC types unless they're interested in > the history of the hobby.
Oh, Jerry, I wouldn't say that. I'm a DCC type, and I love the old issues of MR for the same reasons as you do. In particular I appreciate the excellent structure drawings that used to appear in almost every issue. I think I may be turning into an architectural modeller!
Cheers
Dan Merkel wrote:

Their value is mostly in BTU's now.
Rob

I disagree. I'll collect and read them. I actually like the older MRs better than the new ones, it seems about the turn of the century the quality dropped off and was slowly returning.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper spake thus:

He's right, unfortunately. Sure, to you and me, and a few others, they're worth more than their pulp value, but to most folks--even those who currently spend money on model train stuff--they really are worthless.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
Bring them to a local Children's Hospital. The kids will love them. Even a regular hospital might want them. DON'T BURN THEM!!! Give them away first