Re: Advice on Streets/Highways

The good side is an assortment of manhole covers, drive-way approaches, and curbs. The bad side is the lack of coverage and the price. One set of the Walthers and the Plastruct for most of the road system might be the best approach. Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE

When I needed streets for my town, I fired up the old computer and printed my own! It wasn't hared to create a section of pricks, then use that to "flood fill" the entiere area. By doing this, I was able to do approaches, manhole covers, patches, storm sewers and random cracks in my concrete streets as well. One could even go the next step and put in markings for parking & traffic control, street markings for schools & rr crossings... you get the picture.

The best part about the project was that I could create custom pieces for exactly what I wanted/needed instead of modifying commercially available images. It only took me about two hours to create the basic sections... after that, I modified them as was necessary. It was a fun project.

Reply to
Dan Merkel

If you already have a City Hall then you can skip this part ... right?

*8-D

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

For a sec, thought this was commentary on this board. LOL!!

Reply to
Corelane

Sure sounds like it beats pouring hydrocal. Did you use any special paper?

Kenny

Reply to
Kennynovak

My sincere apologies... Two weeks ago, I suffered a torn/detached retina. For about ten days, I couldn'see much of anything at all. Now, I'm getting some sight back, but still have trouble & proffing sometimes suffers. As some of you might remember, I didn't have much to start with in the first place.

Obviously, I meant bricks, and I sincerely apologize for the typo. That is simply not my style.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

The paper was a bit of a problem. I really couldn't find what I wanted. Walthers used to use a paper that looked like thin pasteboard on their preprinted building sheets. It was kind of gray & speckled. I couldn't find any.

I work for a company that has a well stocked print shop and the manager gave me some yellowish paper with specks in it. I suppose it's about 24-pound in weight. You might be able to find something like it in the "good paper" section of a place like Staples or Office Max. Or... you could go to a print shop and try to buy just the couple of dozen sheets that you would need. I also think that a arts & crafts place might have something like it in larger sheets used for frame mats.

The trick is to print on regular paper until you get what you like, then shift to the good stuff.

Some other points...

over as often as you like.

different area and/or turn it end-for-end and not realize that it is the same section.

Have fun!

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Sorry to hear of your vision problems. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Your style or not, it was pretty good.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse