Police car in Streets of Fire

I have just watched one of my favourat films again and I am now thinking of building a model of the cop car seen in the film.So can anybody identify the car and does anybody know if there is a kit of the car available.

the name of the film again is Streets of Fire.

Thanks .

Rory Manton

It's Not Pink It's Telemagenta

Reply to
Rory Manton

Didn't they use Studebakers in that movie?

I don't think there are any kits on the market. If you want to get surreal, there was the Frankenstude kit (Testors?) but you'd have to mod the heck out of it to make it look more police-like. Somebody made a 1:18th diecast recently...

But I don't know whether you'd want to work with a diecast. It'll run you about $50/40 Euros.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 "I want some positive proof that a few million more dead Americans is a Bad Thing. Because if you go by the advertising, the American nation is the most deserving of genocide there has ever been."--Tepid 9:19

Reply to
Stephen "FPilot" Bierce

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.vic.com, Stephen "FPilot" Bierce at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 6/10/04 20:03:

Thanks for the info, I think I will have to wait untill somebody puts it out as a stock kit.

Rory Manton

It's Not Pink It's Telemagenta

Reply to
Rory Manton

I remember a bizillion years ago when I was a kid that somebody made a flywheel toy Studebaker (I remember because my uncle had the real thing in the same God-awful pea green color). I con't remember if there was an interior, definately no engine (curbside) but the body was well detailed, like the very early AMT 3-in-1s. It was available at the dealerships for a nominal fee. Seeing as there ARE no Studebaker dealerships left, I'd look for one on eBay. Good luck!

The Old Timer

I just got back from eBay and they have one on auction. Bullet Nose Studebaker toy plastic wind-up car 1950 51 Item number: 7105229177 Scale is 1:24 (IIRC) Price is almost $50 and the auction is over in about 30 hours. They also have three 1:18 versions running about $20.00 in auctions that'll be over this time tomorrow. Hope this helps.

The Old Timer

> /1951studebakerhero.jpg

We 'almost' had one several years ago but RC/Ertl chucked the idea after getting modellers excited about it. I've read that the distributors weren't very excited about it. Maybe someday, though...

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

They have acetate bodies which warp over time. Shame no resin outfit re-popped one from a straightened example.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Jimmy Flintstone offers (offered?) a resin stock '50 Studebaker body. Nicely done, had a couple different optional grill "spinners".

For Mr. Manton's purpose, it'd probably do very nicely as a slammer; build a simple plate chassis with some Ford wheels, put black plastic in the window openings; could look pretty good.

I also happen to own a "remote-control" Studebaker toy made in the 50s. Acetate body (quite accurate) and a motorized chassis; the remote control is a battery box and a pneumatic thing that steers the front wheels.

Steve H

The Old Timer wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

What scale is that? I could see resin popping it if it's workable. tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

The old flywheel toys were 1:24 or 1:25 scale, or damn close to it. I had a flywheel '57 T-bird as a kid around 1959 and a couple of years later, I compared it to an AMT kit. They appeared to be the same size. The T-bird seemed to have the same relationship to the larger convertable (Galaxy?), being a little smaller than the other toy. I know that the acetate bodies can warp, but I have seen a lot that haven't done so at all. So maybe there are some masters for molding out there.

The Old Timer

Ford Galaxie 1959-1973. Prior to '59 the top model Ford was the Fairlane and I think they came out in '55 but I'd have to check.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The remote-control car is 1/25th.

But the Flintstone body is better; for one, the trim bits are separate parts, so you could ship them off to a plater if you wanted.

Steve H

Keeper wrote:

Reply to
snh9728