The Arrow

Last night I watched a very interesting movie on a cable channel - "The Arrow" - which was filmed in 1997. Has anyone else seen this movie or know how accurate it was? The flying sequences of this beautiful airplane were magnificent! The combination of what looked like actual film and studio mock-ups was very good and smoothly done. At the end of the movie, it said that there was a rumor that at least one of the Arrows escaped destruction and was still in existence. If this is true, does anybody know where it may be? What about the Hobbycraft kit of this plane? Is it accurate and a good kit to build? Does anybody know if this movie is available on home video? All the time I was watching the movie (180 minutes), I kept thinking, "I should be taping this!".

Reply to
blueleader

Raymond A. Heilman

Just out of curiosity......What is *The Arrow*? Never heard of it before....Any pictures anywhere? (Yes, I'll Google as well ).....Eric

Reply to
Eric Ferguson

Oops....should've Googled first. Found a number of sites. Nice AC....too bad they destroyed them.....Governments should be made to save at least ONE example of an AC, such as Northrop's Flying Wings...One of my favorites....Eric

Reply to
Eric Ferguson

Try Googling CF105 This site has some pics showing the large size, and inflight photos

Chek

Reply to
Chek

Thanks for the link....Man that was a massive aircraft.....Eric

Reply to
Eric Ferguson

I agree about both aircraft.

Went to the U.S.A.F. museum several years ago. Seem to me, they had the YRB-49 Northrop Flying Wing on there wish list of plane to have. Well DAH!!! the Secretary of the Air Force had them all destroyed. The museum has to make due with a 1/72 scale model of the YRB-49 Northrop Flying Wing. What a waste, not one saved for the museum.

At least the Canadian National Aviation Museum in Ontario has the remains of the forward fuselage, outer wings and landing gear of one of the CF-105 Arrows.

Gary

Reply to
m.gary.kroman

Most of the ground scenes are fictional. For example, Jim Floyd did not discover Richard Whitcomb's Area Rule principle, and Jack Woodman was not an undisciplined hot dog pilot. Also, the USAF was never more than lukewarm about buying the Arrow. I could go on...

There are a whole lot of people who want to know the answer to that one : )

Actually, it's been a long-running rumour fuled by wish-fulfilment and the fact that the famous "Black Thursday" pictures only show 5 of the

6 complete aircraft being cut up. I doubt it's true but wouldn't it be nice...?

The 1/72 kit is a bit simplistic and inaccurate; the aileron actuator bulges were moulded on top of the wing rather than underneath, the cockpit was a plank with 2 seat-like shapes (to be fair, the windows are too small for details to show up) and the afterburner cans had turbine blades in them. The second issue (in the black-trimmed box) has corrected wings but all the rest of the faults are still there. I have a very nice Astra vac kit I could be persuaded to part with...

The first 1/48 kit was merely a scale-up of the 1/72 kit, with all of is faults 2/3 larger. The new release is much nicer. The cockpit almost looks as though it should be shown open rather than closed.

You can get it here:

Jeff C

The Hobbycraft kit is "okay" at best. There was a 1/72nd scale vac-form, by "VP" (from Canada) than, in my opinion, was *very* nice.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I think Diefenbaker was trying to erase any trace of the aircraft.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

There also was an Aurora kit dating back to when the plane was new. IIRC, it was 1/77 scale. I replaced my copy with the Hobbycraft kit which never got built and was sold to a gentleman in the NWT.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Like the TSR 2, and XB 35/YB49's or the B 32.

Then there are the heart rending pic's of the B 17 5 Grand waiting for her turn with the torches........................

Reply to
AM

inflight photos

Kickin' plane! Sorta looks like a MiG 25/31 grafted together with a Hustler.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete .mil.nav to email

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

Wait! There is a B-32 survivor.

It's sitting ntact in a crater on the moon.

It must be true. Saw it on the cover of a tabloid paper at the superarket a few years back.

:-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

i thought that was a privateer. didn't the headlinw say navy plane found in lunar crater?

Reply to
someone

Yes, they did say that.

But the genius editor used a stock photo of a B-32.

That's the only time I ever came close to buying one of those nasty rags.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Here in the UK, it was a more generic 'WW2 bomber found on the moon' headline. I thought at least it would be a pressurised B-29 :(

Chek

Reply to
Chek

i've seen b-25 also.

Reply to
someone

It was a rehersal for it.

Except that our government didn't even allow the Army to shoot at it, in case they missed (as happened to the TSR.2).

Reply to
Jeff C

If it had been a pressurised B-29, the crew would still be alive after 59 years. ;-)

Gary

Reply to
m.gary.kroman