Star Treks' Galileo

Found one from a friend at work,but boy,it's a bitch to find normally.

Reply to
teem

I found one at a flea market (swap meet) few years ago and I promptly sold it on eBay. IIRC, I didn't get all that much for it.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Let's face it, it's not the greatest kit in the world, particularly the very sparse interior. The actual prop has a odd story behind it though; AMT built it for the show in exchange for the rights to make a kit of it, as part of their Star Trek franchise agreement.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Ditto on the Klingon battlecruiser. AMT wanted a kit, the Trek prop guy drafted up the drawings and AMT made the studio model and the kit prototype. Season three and both the Klingons and the Romulans are sporting new digs.

I'm glad AMT showed the interest - both designs are rather inspired and have stood the franchise well.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I already knew that.With me,its the ''I'll wait & get it later'' syndrome.Of course being a kid in the early 70s I didnt have that knack for reconising something special.

Reply to
teem

I think you're mistaken on a couple of counts.

AMT didn't build the Galileo, they just paid for construction of the full-size mockup. It was part of the licencing deal to do a kit of the Enterprise. Ironically, AMT didn't do a kit of the Galileo until 1974.

I've never read anything about AMT having a hand in building the Klingon studio model. I believe it was designed & built by the art director, Matt Jefferies. AMT borrowed the studio model and traced it with a 3D pantograph to make the master for their kit, making it the most accurate of all the Star Trek model kits; unfortunately they added some washboard details and made the dome lights too big, so it's not perfect.

I don't have time to search through all my old books & magazines, but I found corroboration for some of this in "The Art of Star Trek" (1995) and "The Best of Trek" (1978).

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

I think that it's really a pretty decent Build considering the fact that Sci-Fi Ships are sometimes more Quirky and seem to be a more difficult Build as opposed to Cars or Trucks or Planes can be.

I have to agree that yes there's not much that comes with the Kit, but then for those who remember there was not a Whole Lot inside the Prop that they had for the Show It's just like being in an Inter-City Cab just Lot like when you're in New York and out and about for an Entire Day of Shopping and going out to different places to Eat.:)

Well that has always been How I thought of these Shuttles being. Something only for a ''Short-Hop'' here and there. I have always actually thought of the 'Galileo' as being not much more than a Glorfied Taxi Throw all your Stuff in the Back and Go to whereever it is you have to be that day :)

I've got one in here someplace but I will ave to Dig for it to find it. Things do tend to get stacked on top of other things and then they turn into Giant Piles you know

If anyone wants to get rid of one please give me an e~mail and let me Know ok

But I think it's a Pretty Good Kit (Taking into account the time that this came out) It's a Very KewL Looking Little Ship Too

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

BTW, as long as we're discussing the Galileo shuttle, does anyone know what the curved extension of the sides over the top is all about? It almost looks like a "tongue" structure should slip over the top of the shuttle and into those slots to let it be lifted up for storage. You can see what I'm talking about on the rear view here:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

That was always my take on it.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

What was odd was the fact it had what looked like scaled-down warp nacelles on it even though it couldn't go beyond lightspeed AFAIK.

Making sure to bring at least one red shirt along so the native lifeforms on the planet you visit will have something to eat. :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

In the original series, they were IMpulse drive nacelles, by the time of the Next Generation, the shuttles had Warp capability, at least according to my Jackell books.

Reply to
The Old Man

Yeah, but they look for all the world like the nacelles on the original enterprise, right down to the domed fronts, and cylindrical fairing on the tail. I always assumed the eight things across the back were the impulse engines, even though they show the fuel coming out of the nacelles in "The Galileo Seven". In this shot from the digitally enhanced TOS, they appear to be firing:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Part of the domes were apparently "bussard collectors", so there's at least some potential that the nacelles on the shuttle served the same function, but my best guess is that they looked cool, so they used them. Alas, that was (and still is) the way most designers work in the TV world. :(

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

yup, remember the captain and the kid where they were on a lightyears long trip to some conference?

Reply to
someone

what? ram jets on a shuttle?

Reply to
someone

For something really different,I called the help numbers in the instruction sheet & got 2 different sex talk companies!.

Reply to
teem

(The=A0Old=A0Man) wrote: On Dec 18, 8:23 pm, Pat Flannery wrote: cyberborg 4000 wrote: Well that has always been How I thought of these Shuttles being. Something only for a ''Short-Hop'' here and there. I have always actually thought of the 'Galileo' as being not much more than a Glorfied Taxi

What was odd was the fact it had what looked like scaled-down warp nacelles on it even though it couldn't go beyond lightspeed AFAIK.

Throw all your Stuff in the Back and Go to whereever it is you have to be that day :)

Making sure to bring at least one red shirt along so the native lifeforms on the planet you visit will have something to eat. :-) Pat

In the original series, they were IMpulse drive nacelles, by the time of the Next Generation, the shuttles had Warp capability, at least according to my Jackell books.

_____ ______ ______ ______

Yesssss - They had Fuel in them just like inside of the Impulse Engines. In the One Episode where Spock was in Command of the Shuttle Mission (With the Giants who were Hell Bent on making the Crew stay for Dinner) After they had finally gotten Off the Planet Spock knew the could not stay in Orbit and he Jettisoned the Fuel and the Ignited the Fuel Stream that was floating out in Space. I remember in the Episode it Looked like a Giant Road Flare burning behind the Shuttle. Spock was accused of Committing a last minute Act of ''Total Desperation'' for doing that

It did seem to be the One and Only Real Chance they had to actually be rescued. I mean with Only like 10 minutes left in the Show and with Spocks Life on the Line. :)

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

galileo 7, i think was it.

Reply to
someone

I can see ADMIRAL Kirk has been up to his treachery again.

Khan Ceti-Alpha 5

Reply to
Pat Flannery

If you can get a significant amount of fuel off a magnetic scoop the size of a pizza pan at sub-light speeds you are doing okay. Still, I imagine you could dive into a gas giant's atmosphere and scoop up fuel there. But in the "Galileo Seven" it's implied that the engines us some sort of a monopropellant like super hydrazine that you can ignite in a vacuum.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery